LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #21
CAP Black
User

Location: Fairmont, WV Right here in Mountaineer country and God's country

A friend of mine who has been into Lugers for over 50 years suggested, over the weekend, while looking at the wooden holster, that it appears to be a commercial item. He later brought to me a copy of Fred Datig's book wherein it states on page 182 that: "Hollow wooden holster-stocks were available on special order from the DWM factory since 1900." How the one I have and the one my father brought back from Germany got into the hands of German soldiers I'll never know-but they did. I still think that mine could be a proto-type or early experimental model.
Thanks for all the insights and rationale.
Jack

Last edited by CAP Black; 03-19-2011 at 08:20 AM.
CAP Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #22
CAP Black
User

To add some info from recent research: On Page 90 of Edward C. Sayre's book on Luger Accessories, he states: A second holster for the LP-08 was produced during the postwar period. (after WWI) This stock very closely copies the Mauser Model C96 holster stock. It was also available for sale in the Stoeger and Pacific Arms catalogs.This holster stock has recently been reproduced to exacting standards with a limited production of 150 units. He includes a picture of the holster and leather stock carrier on page 91.
He also mentions that: Photographs of original LP-08 C96-type holster stocks are also depicted in Kenyon and Datig (books).
Thanks for any assistance.
Jack
Unread 03-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #23
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Jack, There are pictures and copies of the engineering drawings for the "Solid-Body Prototype/Trials LP.08 Holster-Stock" on pages 1331 through 1337 in Vol. III of the new Sturgess book "Pistole Parabellum". Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2011, 05:09 PM   #24
CAP Black
User

Just found a reference to felt linings. It's in "The Luger Handbook" by Aaron Davis (I realize that the manual has gotten much criticism for error and omissions). However, it states that "that distributor worked with DWM to provide ... accessories... in a felt lined ... case". I'll grant you that he was discussing leather cases; never-the-less cases with felt lining. I know not how authentic his comments are; nor how realistic. Anyone have or seen one of those cases lined with felt??
Thanks
Jack
Unread 04-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #25
hgreer2
Banned

Since the "expert purests" would rather argue , send it to me and I will add one of my outlandish stories to it, for a lifetime of enjoyment, I like it no matter where it came from, doesn't bother me if Heinrich Himmler's DNA isn't on it, appreciate it for what it is................

Harry
hgreer2 is offline   Reply With Quote