LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 12-22-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
John W. McNulty
User

Default 1918 DWM Artillery

I have a really good Artillery with all matching, and a good board shoulder stock and matching mag. BUT holster, while excellent in every other way has in small capitals "GERMANY" printe on shell just below flap. Am unaware that Longs were made by DWM for retail or commercial sale, but that I believe is what is indicated by the germany stamped into the holster. Any, all advice gratefully accepted. Thank you. McNulty
John W. McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,090 Posts

if it is stamped on the holster, then the HOLSTER was exported to the USA (or the like). The pistol should also be marked. if not, then it came to America from either another way or slipped in without being marked.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Tony S.
User

Could you post pics of your Artillery?
"SEMPER PARATUS"
Tony S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #4
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,528 Times in 787 Posts

While not common, artillery holsters marked "GERMANY" do show up from time to time. My experiance has been that many are also marked with depot marks often a crown over roman numerals I, II or III indicating Bavarian origin from 1918. These holsters came from military supply depots after 1918 and were exported to the US commercial market. Photos of the holster would be appreciated.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
John W. McNulty
User

Thank you all a great deal. Unfortunately I don't know how to send phots over the internet yet. I'm working on that skill, but sometimes you need a lot of bannanas to teach an Irishman something new. Thanks again for your help. Its serial number is 4587a and there does appear to be some other markings that I'll need a magnifier to pik up.
Unread 12-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #6
John W. McNulty
User

Somehow I had posted a really good reply but the machine said not registered. Couldn't have got this far into system without so I'll try again. Again I apologize to all who tried to help the new guy and thank you for your kind words. Prominently displayed on the inside of the flap is stamped "Friedr. Lemke Berlin N. 39 or N.S9 1918" In addition on back of holster, in ink, is "353 (inverted) V" Also just faintly visible on inside of flap is".III V" Banana is correctly spelled this way and my name in Sioux is Running Dummy" Perhaps, as Charlie Chan would say "All is clearer now" Thanks again, Running Dummy
Unread 12-25-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
John W. McNulty
User

So, what is it I have? With the traditional export "germany" stamp on the body of the holster, but with the apparent Berlin holster mfg. do I have a Fake? Are there other Lugers with holsters in 1918 that were perhaps retired from the military, set aside to be exported, but repatriated before going out of germany? I kinda wish it was grip strap marked so I could follow the unit as it moved from the end of the war to where RS got it. Again, I'm sorry for the confusion and thank those who made suggestions which have gotten me further than I was 48 hours ago.
Unread 12-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #8
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,123 Times in 1,434 Posts

John, By 1918 the practice of unit marking was on the way out. Many WW1 German military items were sold after the war on the commercial market.
I suspect your holster is legit but untill a photo appears it's hard to say. I have never seen a fake that was Germany marked that I can think of...

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2008, 11:27 AM   #9
Navy
RIP

I have owned 4 "unissued" LP-08 holsters over the years that had unit markings as well as GERMANY stamps. Clearly these were depot stores that were sold off for the cash strapped Weimar government.

Tom A
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote