LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 11-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #1
james127
User

Default Help on Buying 1st Luger

I'm going to admit right off the bat that I'm a novice when it comes to Lugers (hence my posting on the New Collectors Forum). I collect a lot of WWII items and have been wanting to buy a Luger for awhile now and have been trying to learn more about them. I may have the opportunity to buy one or two soon and was hoping to gather a bit of wisdom before I make the purchase.

One of the Lugers is being sold as a 41 BYF Black Widow with matching numbers and the other (pictured with the holster) is a DWM that is believed to be a build up (no numbers). Based on what little I know, I don't think that either one is a Black Widow. I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures. I'll be seeing them in person this coming week and will get better pics, but based on what you see, a.) can you tell what exactly I'm looking at and b.) what would be a fair price to pay.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luger3.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	54420  

Name:	luger4.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	54421  

Name:	luger5.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	54422  

Name:	luger6.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	54423  

Name:	luger7.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	54424  

Attached Images

james127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #2
Neil Young
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Welcome to the forum. You will be able to get answers to your questions here, but it will take much more information and much better photographs. The current photos are not clear enough to be useful.
Unread 11-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

if you can't get better photos, try to get the full serial number and suffix for each pistol.
It's stamped on the front of the trigger guard. And, if you buy them, insist on a review period to have them examined by an expert - usually 3-5 days, without firing them.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
james127
User

I'm supposed to go a take a look at them in person this Saturday. I'll get some better pictures and post them up here as soon as I get them. Anything in particular that I need to be looking for?
Unread 11-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,361 Posts

Welcome!

Caliber, any markings stamped, serial number, etc. There's a sticky here somewhere that gives a list of features that would belong in the description...

I'm betting your "build-up" is a commercial, which would have its numbers tucked discreetly away.
Unread 11-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

On the "widow", the first thing is checking to see if all numbers match. Then original finish, condition, etc.
One thing that I think I am seeing is a navy magazine with the one with the holster, wood bottom with rings. That will be worth $300+ if in good shape. The holster MAY be worth $100-$300, if original.
Regarding the black widow thing, that is a much scorned term used for any of the BYF 41 and 42 guns, particularly those with the black bakelite grips, but not necessarily.
I could go on and on, but if I were you I'd spend the next 5 days reading posts on this forum and educating yourself.
Regarding what to pay, the range on any BYF 41 or 42 may run between $900 and $2k, with that one looking a bit tired, so stay close to $1k IF IT ALL MATCHES. The DWM I'm assigning shooter status due to the numbers issue, but would still go $700 or so given the holster and magazine. But if there are no numbers or if they have been removed, step back because you may be getting into a legal mess.
So study up and keep us posted as more info. comes available.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #7
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

Be sure the "navy" mag is genuine; many aftermarked ringed bases have been sold.
Be sure to get pictures of the magazine bases with all markings.

My best advice would be practice you photography before Saturday, in addition to reading all the posts you can here.
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2015, 07:18 PM   #8
james127
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Be sure the "navy" mag is genuine; many aftermarked ringed bases have been sold.
Be sure to get pictures of the magazine bases with all markings.

My best advice would be practice you photography before Saturday, in addition to reading all the posts you can here.
I'll be snapping a lot of pictures from every angle that I can think of. There are a few other guns there that I'm wanting to take a look at as well. Thanks!
Unread 12-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #9
james127
User

Got some updated pictures of the Lugers. Just to keep things from getting muddled, I started a new thread here.