LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 09-01-2002, 01:18 PM   #41
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Roadkill:
<strong> An origonal 1911 or 1911A1 is an antique. Treat them as such. Unless its a 1911 type modern gun which is not an antique, most professionals whose life may depend on it carry neither. Both had their time, both have their history, and neither are in use by any modern military or police force.
RK</strong><hr></blockquote>

RK, this is a subject that can and will be debated long after you and I are worm food. This is not the proper forum for such a discussion so I'll simply say that I respectfully - but strongly - disagree.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2002, 03:27 PM   #42
Roadkill
User

Sir Doubs, thank you for being a gentleman about it. I've got a deep down feeling that if we were to passionately discuss this matter I'd unceremoniously end up losing.

RK
Roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2002, 04:20 PM   #43
max2cam
User

I didn't buy a Luger to bash it. Nor did I create my own ersatz Sam Browne rig with Luger holster to bash. Nor did I pick up 1500 rounds of 9mm to bash. Nor putting all the shots on a paper plate at 50 paces makes me want to bash it either. Or showing it off to my pals. Nor do I inspect my Luger with a hand lens frequently trying to divine its history by examining its scratches and pitting accumulated since 1938 in order to bash it.

It's just that somebody early in this thread claimed the Luger was as reliable as the .45 Govt. Model. Right or wrong, that struck me as being somewhat of an absurd statement. The .45 Govt. Model has stood the test of time -- the U.S. Military still using it into the 1980s and the Marines a bit longer. By that time the Luger had long passed into the status of relic and antique as a combat weapon -- but that is not bashing it -- just the toss of the dice and the design philosophy difference between Herr Luger and John Browning.

However, here's an irony that no one has mentioned yet. While the Luger is a dead duck in today's modern combat pistol world (while the .45 Govt. Model is still a very popular weapon) the 9mm Luger round has gone on the supercede the .45 ACP in the U.S. Military.

Fancy that.

So while the Luger is history, the 9mm Parabellum round created for it is top top choice for pistols and SMGs in today's military including our own.

Of course that too is a controversial subject.

But like they say: Truth is stranger than fiction.
max2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2002, 04:31 PM   #44
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Talking

Well I've got both and I think it depends on the day and the hour on which gun I feel "safer" with.

My Lugers are my babies, but the others are not orphans, that is for sure, [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote