LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 08-03-2002, 10:11 AM   #1
Thor
User

Post 9mm Nato Ammo

Winchester makes a +p+ load with a 124 gr at 1235 fps which the box says LE ONLY. But I see where it is offered by supply houses and auctions. I just wondered if there is a law about this ammo or is it just labeling? Seems like it would be perfect for Artillery Models with a stiff spring. I usually fire a hand load about like this (124 at 1200 fps) one if my UMC 124 gr at 1110 fps won't work the action properly (cases eject soft or not at all)
915-526-8925 Email
thor340@aol.com
-----------------------------------
John3:3
Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2002, 01:20 PM   #2
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts
Thor, to the best of my knowledge there is no law concerning small arms ammunition that prevents such +P+ 9mm from being sold to the public. When Winchester withdrew "Black Talon" ammo from the market and restricted it to LE sales, it was strictly a voluntary action as a result of the bad publicity - almost all of it BS without basis in truth - created by the media and anti-gun politicians. Similar products such as "Golden Sabre" and "Gold Dot" were being sold without similar media attention or hype.

I agree that a 124 grain bullet at 1235 FPS is closely duplicating the original German military 9mm round and should function fine in the Artillery models.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2002, 12:03 AM   #3

Guys,

A few things occurred to me. In certain places (New Jersey for instance) civilians cannot have hollowpoint ammo and maybe other types of ammo. Perhaps +P+ in the public hands is viewed as dangerous and illegal somewhere so the ammo companies won't sell to civilians.

Also, there are a lot of cheap and old 9 mm handguns out there (someone might place Lugers in this category) while the cops have strong late model guns. Maybe the companies are afraid the +P+ stuff will be used in unsafe guns by civilians.
Unread 08-04-2002, 07:52 PM   #4
Kyrie
User

Hi Ted!

There is no US standard for â??+P+â?? ammunition, so there is no way to tell how such ammunition is loaded. All the â??+P+â?? marking tells us is that the ammunition is non-compliant with any US standard. Iâ??d avoid it like the plague :-)

Warm regards,

Kyrie
Kyrie is offline   Reply With Quote