LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 06-25-2002, 01:41 AM   #1
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Thumbs up Stocked Artillery shooting

Late last week I met Lonnie Zimmerman, of our esteemed company, who had invited me to his gun club to give me an opportunity to shoot my 1917 DWM Artillery with his stock attached (truthfully the exchange wnt more like "What, you haven't shot an Artillery with a stock? You've got to, you'll love it..." or something like.)

Anyway, he was right, and anyone who has an Artillery who hasn't shot with a stock is missing one of the ineffible Luger shooting experiences. I thought my Artillery was accurate hand-held--doesn't hold a candle to it stocked.

Gotta get me one of those things.

I did discover one thing, though. I've begun to hold the newspaper farther and farther away from my eyes (I'm not as young as I used to be, although I'll deny it if anybody asks), and the stock brought the sights too close to my face. My shooting wasn't too bad at all, considering that I couldn't focus on the front sight!--guess I'll finally have to break down and get glasses along with the stock...

Lonnie also let me shoot his Artillery, with a small virtual-dot ligted unit called the Doctor Sight, which replaces the Artillery rear sight. First time I have shot with a sight like this, as well. It shoots spot-on when aligned, is very natural once you get used to where to look, and only took me a few well-placed shots to get over the silly feeling that I was cheating. If I was
building an Armadillo gun, I might very well consider a sight like this (you reading this, Hugh?).

Anyway thanks Lonnie, it was a very pleasant afternoon, and Johnson Creek is a very friendly place to shoot.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2002, 11:54 PM   #2
Lonnie Zimmerman
User

Dwight; the pleasure was all mine. You are a great fellow to shoot with.
Lonnie