LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 02-22-2003, 01:17 AM   #1
HCS
User

Post Cleaning rod for 1934 date holster.

Hi.

Thank you for a great forum.
I have been collecting German WW2 military items for some years now, I finally got my first Luger a few weeks ago, it is hell to get a firearm license in Denmark. The Luger is a G date almost all matching except for the hold open latch, the magazine is original and has the same serial number as the Luger. The holster I got with it is marked AUWAERTER & BUBECK A.G. STUTTGART 1934, it also has the earley eagle and WaA1xx (last digits unreadable)stamp. There was also the original P08 tool, stamped with the earley eagle with the holster. I got a cleaning rod with the Luger, but I don't think it is the original to the holster. My question is does anyone know how the cleaning rod is supposed to look like? The ones I've seen looks like mine, or is shaped like a T with a handle of wood, but I don't think that there is enough space for the handle, when you close the lid of the holster, because the cleaning rod is placed so close to the edge of the lid of the holster. Furthermore the one I got doesen't seem to use the extra leather flap that is placed on top of the tool holder.
I have uploaded some pictures of the holster, the Luger and the cleaning rod.
I hope someone can help me.

Henrik Sommer
Denmark

HCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
Leon DeSpain
User

Henrik,

Click on the link to see a picture of a cleaning rod that I have. Also, if you have a copy of Third Reich Lugers by Jan Still, see page 124. The extra strap is for holding cleaning patches.

http://lmd-militaria.com/page170.html

Regards, Leon
Leon DeSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2003, 06:12 AM   #3
HCS
User

Hi Leon.

Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately I don't have the book by Jan Still, I have seen the cleaning rod that you have before on pictures, is there enough space for the rod if you close the lid of the holster?
I would never have guessed that the extra strap is for holding cleaning patches.

Regards
Henrik Sommer
Unread 02-23-2003, 09:39 AM   #4
pisto
User

Hendrik,
I think that should be the wrong cleaning rod. I have one which is quite different to the one on the picture You have.
There exist 2 types of cleaning rods, one with a large loop for the Portugese, and one with the small loop which is German.
Should be in the Luger books for shure. Otherwise ask me for a picture.
pisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2003, 05:40 PM   #5
Leon DeSpain
User

Henrik,

Click on this link to see a picture of the tool installed in a holster. The width of the loop on the tool is about the same as the opening in the holster for the gun on the right side.

http://lmd-militaria.com/page170.html

Scroll down to see the second picture.

Regards, Leon
Leon DeSpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2003, 08:53 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

HCS, The cleaning rod that you have is for a Tokarev T33 pistol and Leon's is the correct type for your holster and also for the M43 Portugese holster. I've alway seen these carried with the long leather loop threaded through the loop in the rod. The Large loop cleaning rod (Mod 1908) was an earlier type and normally carried on the outside of some commerical holsters, next to the spare mag pouch. Tom H.
Unread 03-03-2003, 12:47 PM   #7
HCS
User

Thank you for the many answers.
I will now start looking for the right cleaning rod for my P08, does anybody know where to buy a new reproduction with the correct length and loop?

Henrik Sommer
Denmark