LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Holster Forum

Unread 01-02-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
WW11 collecter
New User

Post ww 11 german holster dated 1943

I am new at this sight and looking for a ww11 german luger hoster. I found one and was told that 1943 hosters are the rarest and hardest to find because they change to the p38 at that time. Is that true and what is the going price for a vg to ex shape one? Can someone help me out and let me know?
WW11 collecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2003, 12:34 PM   #2
Navy
RIP

Wellcome to the forum.

Your question reveals a lot of the common misunderstandings about logistics in general and in the III Reich German Army in particular.

There was no switch-over per se; what occurred was a cessation of manufacturing Lugers for the German military. The Luger continued to be used in service until the end of hostilities. There was not even, so far as I have ben able to determine, a plan to phase the Luger out, like we would do in the US military.

As far as the 1943 being the rarest date, I don't think that is the case; I have a Luger holster dated 1945, it is the only one I have ever seen. For general purpose scarcity, I think the K-Date navy holster would probably rank high on the list of avis rara, and I have owned as many as 3 of those at one time.

Perhaps fortunately, holster collecting has not yet caught on widely so prices are still reasonable or slightly on the high side of reasonable for III Reich leather. You should expect to pay between $250-350 for an exc 1943 holster unless it has some really unusual features, such as KM or Luftwaffe markings, etc.

Hope this helps!

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote