LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 09-26-2001, 10:16 AM   #1
Buddy
User

Default Nimda Virus

My computer at work is giving me a message about the Nimda virus when I click into the Message Board here. It happened late last week for the first time, so I didn't visit again until yesterday, but it did it then and again today. I'm guessing the server is infected. You all may want to go to McAffe and download the latest version. Hope I'm not being a Chicken Little.

Buddy

Unread 09-26-2001, 10:43 AM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Default [OT] Nimda was defeated by prompt action of John D.

who so generously hosts the Lugerforum on his business internet servers.

You are seeing the virus alert message when you visit the forum because when you go to the main page, you computer is feeding you the cached version of the page you got last week. Do a forced "refresh" of the Lugerforum homepage to update the cache and the message should stop appearing, but that is not all you should do.

Buddy, have your anti-virus software do a FULL scan of your computer and make sure it checks all files types (if you are using the latest version of the anti=virus definition files for your software) and it should quarantine or delete the virus infected file in you cache. (My recommendation is to delete any infected files and if it causes some of your software to stop functioning, then re-install the software).

If it can't do that, you are using either obolete, or the wrong anti-virus software.

I recommend and use the Norton Anti-virus software. I quit using McAfee several years ago, but if kept current it should protect you. It is extremely important to equip your computer with anti-virus software and to check for definition file updates FREQUENTLY (like at least twice a week).

I am a professional computer security consultant (read my profile) and I was the one who discovered the virus infection by Nimbda of this site and notified John D. that he should shut down until he could kill it (yes that is My own drum you heard me beating ).

If you or any other forum member would like to be on my personal virus notification email list, just send me a personal email, and I will add you to the list and send you an alert as soon as I am aware of a new threat...

SAGE ADVICE FOR ALL:

Keep your antivirus software updated, apply patches as they are issued, and always scan attachments for viruses before opening. Unless an attachment is one you are expecting, it's best just to delete it.

regards,

John

Unread 09-26-2001, 11:07 AM   #3
Buddy
User

Default Re: [OT] Nimda was defeated by prompt action of John D.

Thanks to John and John! Since I didn't visit for a while after the problem last week I didn't know if this had come up in the forum. I did a search on virus and got no results.

I hope it didn't sound like I was complaining. I appreciate John hosting the forum and thank him and John S. for their fast action to solve the problem and keep us virus free.

Thanks,

Buddy

Unread 09-26-2001, 08:09 PM   #4
Dok
RIP

Default As do I... :)

I greatly appreciate the help of both the Johns. And John Sabato's alertness on the virus front saved us I'm sure. I am a subscriber to John's virus alert, and find it very useful.

Thanks John & John

Dok (Webmaster)