LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-24-2002, 03:12 AM   #1
lugerrookie
User

Default what do i own

My luger has DWM on top, a tube less than 4 in.long and is

in .30 cal. and it also has the number 44 everywhere.

but it has no date. what is it.and when was it made? please help me i'm going crazy trying to find out...

Unread 03-24-2002, 04:37 AM   #2
john
User

Default Re: what do i own

It might be an 08/20.......

These were made up post WW1 to comply with the Treaty.

They are in .30 Luger and have a three point something inch barrel. Apparently the Allies post WW1 were terrified of the thought of the German Army carrying 9mm Pistols with 4 inch barrels!

The 44 stamped everywhere would be the assembly mark.

The DWM is indicative of the use of "left over" parts in the production of these new guns.

Unread 03-24-2002, 06:23 AM   #3
Marvin
User

lugerrookie,

You may have what is called the "1920 Commercial" made by DWM during the 1920s for commercial sales. As John stated, Germany was not permitted to produce weapons in 9mmP, so the proliferation of the .30 Luger came into its own during this period. Most of the .30 Luger pistols were destined for the US market and this caliber was very popular at this time. The 9mmP was not well know in the US.

To assist a little more with information, could you provide the serial number (just xx-out a couple of digits if you want) and the suffix letter if there is one. With the serial number, we can get close to a manufacture date for you. It sounds like your Commercial Luger has the Military style serial number placement. Are the numbers "44" also the last two digits in the serial number? Does the stamp "made in germany" or "germany" appear on the frame, receiver or barrel? Most of the ones stamped with this export stamp were destined for the US, Britain, or other countries. The ones not stamped could have been for sale within Germany. Does the Test Proof stamp (Crown/N or Crown/U) appear on the left or right side of the receiver?

Most of the Commercial pistols did not have the date stamped on the receiver ring. There is also the possiblity that the pistol could be a WWI rework into a Commercial pistol. If it was a WWI pistol, the chamber date would have been ground off and Commercial proof stamps located on the receiver. Are there several stamps on the right receiver with Crowns/Letter?

The Weimar Lugers are one of the more difficult to pin down sometimes as most anything could happen. Any additional information you can provide and we can help with more info.

Marvin

Unread 03-24-2002, 06:27 AM   #4
Marvin
User

I forgot to mention that if you are really interested in finding out the most info on your pistol is to get the book by Jan Still, "Weimar Lugers". This book has the best information avialable on the Weimar Era produced pistols. The book is approx $60 and worth every penny if you really want to get into Lugers of this era.

Marvin

Unread 03-24-2002, 11:26 AM   #5
mlm

DWM is the acronym for Deutches Waffen und Munitionsfabriken and is the maker of the luger. The barrel length is typical for post-ww1 lugers. The official caliber is 7.65mm and many were made in that caliber in the 1920s for US and other commercial sales. It is reportedly a very good round. The "44" is the last two digits of the numerical portion of the pistol serial number. The full serial number is on front of frame and ends in a letter. That letter would tell a lot about the origins of this luger.

The lack of a date and other characteristics plus the number manufactured suggests it is a 1920s commercial luger. Look for a crown over an N on left side. There are several sub-varieties.

Congratulations on having a great piece of history.

dm