LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 02-08-2001, 06:50 PM   #1
Jerry Williams

Default Feeding problems, pls help!

Not me, I am doing too damn good with the feedbag!

My uncle's WWII bringback has passed on down to me and It has two after market magazines. About every other time I put a full mag in, the pistol will jam. Then work ok on the remaining rounds. Handloads (FMJ) or factory - no difference....

Put a friend's genuine magazine in and it works fine. The springs in the aftermarket mags seem(?) strong enuff but something is wrong, obviously. I just ordered a replacement set of springs from Wolff and included a "10% stronger" mag spring. Is it worth my while to fiddle with an aftermarket mag and replace the spring or just spend the bucks at a gun show and put the wolff spring in an original mag?

Are there any "hints and/or kinks" that I can do to the pistol itself to help feeding?

The old girl is in really fine shape but I don't think it is "collectable" so I intend to shoot it. It is pretty darn accurate considering my ageing eagle eyes and that ridiculous rear sight!

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jerry

Unread 02-08-2001, 07:04 PM   #2
Johnny Peppers
User

Default Re: Feeding problems, pls help!

Most feeding problems with Lugers can be traced to the magazines. The fact that an original magazine feeds fine, and the aftermarket doesn't pretty well tells the story.

Unread 02-08-2001, 07:05 PM   #3
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default Hi Jerry....

Really - based on your post, I wouldn't do a thing to the gun itself. Since the original Luger mags work fine, and since it seems to jam with only aftermarket mags - I'd stick with simply focusing on those aftermarket mags - and I think you are on the right track with the springs... With a full mag - a weak spring will definately effect feeding relability - and you may *not* be able to feel the tension difference (by hand) of an original and aftermarket mag..

You may also just want to do a quick check on the after market mags to be sure that nothing is hanging up the magazine follower as it is depressed way down in the mag. (Look for bright spots inside the mag body where it could be hanging or spurs, etc.) Other then that - I really think you are on the right track by changing the springs themselves....

Unread 02-08-2001, 07:10 PM   #4
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Default WOW - I gotta hit that "Post Message" button fast around here

Unread 02-11-2001, 02:49 PM   #5
Duane Rowland

Default Re: Feeding Problems

Jerry-

You might try running higher-grainage rounds, too. The original 9mm rounds were a slightly higher grainage than the standard 9mm round made today, and the toggle-lock action of the Luger was designed for this higher powder charge. Using weaker modern rounds will cause the action to not cycle all the way back occasionally, causing the feed to hang up. Try using 134-grain or higher in your loads. +p rounds should also work. (source: Guns & Ammo 2001 Annual)

P.S. - Higher-grainage 9mm rounds aren't all that hard to come by. You just have to ask for them. Most shops will carry them.

Later! -Duane.