LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 10-07-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts
Default 1936 Dated Krieghoff Luger

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=38354703
Quote:
This is a collector-grade gun with 98.9% bluing, excellent and correct straw bluing. It is completely matched in serial numbers and is extensively proofed with Stage I & II acceptance stamps. The magazine is Krieghoff proofed (Eagle 2), correct but non-matching serial number. This barrel does have the caliber markings found on the early models (882).

Krieghoff's are the most desirable among collectors. Every collection has a basic Krieghoff and the more advanced have the "year" variations of which this is the first full year on the chamber.

This is a fine example of an early contract gun for the Krieghoff collector priced reasonably for the excellent condition of the gun. Whether you want to start a Krieghoff collection or are just looking for the rare 1936 dated chamber to finish your collection this is a premium gun to have
A bit excellent, especially for the price , but then isn't this Phoenix Arms?

Always, a bit, uh, skeptical at a 98% gun, they of course exist, but it seems their entire site is full of "nice" guns...
Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Pete Ebbink
User

I am confused...The G-B ad says the barrel does not have the "8,82" barrel bore stamping...but when you go to the PIA web site where Etowski and Shattuck have their photos of this HK, it shows the barrel stamped with "882"...

Text from the G-B ad :

" This barrel does have the caliber markings found on the early models (882). "

Also...not sure if the "882" should have a comma or not between the two 8's...???

http://www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com/krieghoff1936.htm
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
Heinz
User

The PIA site also says 96% blue. This may be a little optomistic from the photos. Looks like no straw color left.

Does the internal wear and corrosion look a bit out of place on a +98% (or 96%) pistol?
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #4
Pete Ebbink
User

Notice the careful exclusion of the word "original" in relationship to any mention of the gun's finish...

Then they go on and claim the blueing is "98.9%"...here is the G-B ad text :

" ...This is a collector-grade gun with 98.9% bluing..."

But if you go to the PIA web site, you see this legal mumble-jumble about rating a gun's % finish...

"..It is entirely subjective to give any Luger a rating of excellence or fine, just as it is to declare it xx% blued or strawed. Bluing percentages is like Beauty; in the eye of beholder..."

And when they "beholding" your money, you loose the argument about not getting a gun that is 98.9% when it comes out of the box at your home.

And...they even have a link to the NRA grading criteria for grading antique arms...on their web site...

Yeah...you betca'...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2005, 09:40 PM   #5
Ron Smith
User

Pete, Every barrel gauge mark I have seen has a comma between the 8s. Without exception.

Maybe I'm a bit on the cinical side, but I would say that it's closer to 90% - . Tends to be a "touch" of blue wear here and there. The right rail has some metal showing also.

I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote