LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Krieghoff Lugers

Unread 11-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
egillette
User

Default New Krieghoff I am a Newbie to Lugers

Hello All,
I am new to Luger owning, my first and probably only purchase coming yesterday at the local gun store. I was there when a widow brought in 50+ guns one of which was a Luger in what I would say is poor condition. I bought it because I needed a Luger to complete my very small collection of US and German WW2 Pistols that I wanted to display on the side of my gun cabinet, simply for my enjoyment as I am not a collector, just a history fancier, and have always wanted a representative piece of each, sooo I have a 1922 Browning, P38, and Hi power, all Waffenmarked but I have never been able to afford a Luger till now I figured I could not even buy a replica for the 200 that I bought this Luger for. I am going to try to put on a few pictures but have never done that before. Any help or info would be appreciated, I respect all the time people may take to read this and maybe comment, Thanks in advance.
It is marked Krieghoff with a sword and anchor above and Suhl under, thats all ahead of the knurled toggle, 7944 is the serial and that number appears on all visible parts except the mag which is marked with what looks like a script n, and a waffen with 03 below and serial 2694 it is aluminum based with a blued body(Mag).
882 is under the barrel near the 7944; several eagle over 2 on the right side of the pistol and some more marks I think are proofs or accectance. Geladen is stamped on what I think is a loaded indicator;GESICHERT is above the safety lever;
1937 is stamped above the chamber;4" barrel; the grips are wood,some small pieces missing; there is a waffen with 135 stamped below on the inside of each grip; all marks seem very clear; It has been in a closet for the last 40 years at least according to the widow, on the floor covered with a blanket, but she could give no history except her husband had these all for "a long time".
I would love any comments anyone might make as to history, as my deceased father was a GI and I am trying re capture a little of that time with these weapons.
It has a lot of surface rust and rust in the barrel, definitely not in great shape, I would like to know how to go about cleaning it up as I really don't know where to start, and If maybe I should let a Luger person look at it as I would rather have one that I could take out and shoot maybe with a better bore.
Thanks, Ed
egillette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,808 Times in 1,170 Posts

If you paid $200 for a Krieghoff luger you should be wearing a grin from ear to ear for the next 30 years or so.

However, for a good assessment the experts here would appreciate a good amount of pictures.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
egillette
User

Thanks, I am trying to find a way to put pictures here, I have never posted pictures anywhere before. I took some pics with my digital camera.
Ed
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
egillette
User

Ok here goes I joined photobucket and I hope these go:!
http://s996.photobucket.com/albums/af83/egillette4/
Try this link and let me know what you think it would be marked as far as % like they say 70%etc also maybe a rough value and how to make it look better, also does anyone know if the grips are correct with those markings on the underside and being wood I have no idea
Guys, thanks a million, Ed
Dayton, Ohio USA
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

It is requested that you post your pics directly to this Forum, as the members who can help you can't see pics from PhotoBucket or SmugMug or those sites due to their companies restrictive policies ...

- Click "Add Reply"
- Insert some relevant text, then scroll down to "Additional Options", "Attach Files", click the "Manage Attachments" button
- In the window that opens, click the "Browse" button and navigate to the pic on your computer and double click it
- Now click on the "Upload" button, and wait a bit...The window will eventually tell you the file is uploaded
- Close that window, go back to the Reply window and click "Submit Reply"
- You can add more than one pic per reply, or go back and edit the post and add more pics

Let's see that Krieger!!!
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
egillette
User

Default trying pics,Ed

I tried clicking photobucket and it works with anyone I think but I,ll try that here
Rd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Luger Pics 001.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	9360  

Name:	Copy of Luger Pics 002.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	9361  

Name:	Copy of Luger Pics 003.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	9362  

Name:	Copy of Luger Pics 004.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	9363  

Name:	Copy of Luger Pics 005.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	9364  

Name:	Copy of Luger Pics 006.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	9365  

Name:	Luger Pics 007.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	9366  

Name:	Luger Pics 008.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	9367  

Name:	Luger Pics 009.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	9368  

Name:	Luger Pics 010.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	9369  

Unread 11-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
egillette
User

Default 5 more, Ed

More
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Luger Pics 011.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	9370  

Name:	Luger Pics 015.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	9371  

Name:	Luger Pics 013.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	9372  

Name:	Luger Pics 012.jpg
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	9373  

Name:	Luger Pics 014.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	9374  

Unread 11-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by egillette View Post
I tried clicking photobucket and it works with anyone I think but I,ll try that here
Rd
It is NOT true, just as said above MANY companies do not allow these kind of sites. Also, that is besides the point, the point is that we would like you to POST HERE.

ADMIN

okay, that said, welcome to the forum Ed.

If you want a much prettier one, I bet I could come up with one in trade. Even an ugly krieghoff is worth more than most beaters.

Use 0000 steel wool and gun oil and lightly work on it and it'll clean up a lot.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,516 Times in 939 Posts

Ed
Suggest you clean this up with light oil and 0000 steel wool. Krieghoffs are very collectible and hard to find. The grips are not correct, at least most if not all in 1937 have plastic grips. Even in this condition it is valuable. I'm sure some of our Krieghoff people will get in here. Welcome to the Forum. Bill
Unread 11-02-2009, 09:01 PM   #10
egillette
User

Default Thanks Ed,

Ok It looks like it worked, thanks for any opinions, I will try the steel wool trick, I am a retired Police Officer and it will give me a project
Ed
Unread 11-02-2009, 10:12 PM   #11
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,082 Times in 1,673 Posts

Eddie,
You did not hit the national lottery for a million bucks, but you certainly hit a home run scoring this gun for $200. I would gladly find "one that I could take out and shoot maybe with a better bore" for you to swap for this one! You got lucky. Congratulations. It is unfortunate that the storage conditions have produced the rusty exterior, but as suggested, the judicious use of 0000 steel wool and gun oil will help bring back the gun from the brink of destruction. Do not be overly aggressive, it will never look like new, but you can arrest the active rust.
Unread 11-02-2009, 11:59 PM   #12
egillette
User

Default Thanks

I'm finding out bits and pieces, one article says that they were issued to luftwaffe ground forces, and that this model was limited to 2500 pieces. I will gently work on it maybe I can trade for a prettier shooter that is stil a representative piece. Thanks to Bill, Ron and Ed. I wish I could show it to a few experts at the OGCA show in Wilmington Ohio on the 21 But I am taking my wife out for her Birthday
Ed
Unread 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
Navy
RIP

Ed,

You have a collectable Luger in any case. You need to follow the advice previously rendered about removing the surface rust-you may wish to consider a couple of days soaking in Kroil-and then gently working the remaining scale with the 0000 steel wool.

Likewise, you may wish to consider a restoration. To do the work necessary to bring this one back to "as issued" appearance, will likely cost above a grand, but you will have something that looks nice and should be easily sellable at a nice profit should you decide to do so.

Tom A.
Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
egillette
User

Default Thanks!

Tom,
Thanks for your advice, where can I get Kroil?
Ed
Unread 11-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

A Hidden Beauty. It is a perfect candidate for Teds' Magic. For a minimal investment, You can have a Kreighoff worth ten times as much.
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #16
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,487 Times in 2,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirelaw View Post
A Hidden Beauty. It is a perfect candidate for Teds' Magic. For a minimal investment, You can have a Kreighoff worth ten times as much.
yes, probally $200-$2500 if restored, so you have to decided if the $1000 and 1 yr to 1.5 yr wait for restoration is worth it.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #17
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by egillette View Post
Tom,
Thanks for your advice, where can I get Kroil?
Ed
Kroil can be obtained directly from Kano Labs or Brownells. Good Stuff

Kano Labs

Brownells
Unread 11-03-2009, 11:11 PM   #18
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,516 Times in 939 Posts

You might check at a auto supply store. I have found it there before. Bill
Unread 11-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #19
cma22inc
User

If something happens and you decide not to undertake restoration I'm sure one of us here would give you your money back.

Good advice here on stopping the rust.
cma22inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
egillette
User

Default Thanks, I am soaking it

Thanks a gain to all, Matt, Bill, Ed, sorry if I missed anyone.
I field stripped it, not too hard but left the toggle and bolt and all together, and put it in a plastic bag with the magazine, but minus the grips of course and filled it with PB Blaster which I have had pretty good luck at dissolving rust. I am going to check with my NAPA friend to see if he can find the Kroil. I have to get some steel wool, I use to always have it but can not find it, I guess I want to go easy even with 000. How about the barrel? I would like to shoot it someday, and it has a few rusty spots, I have a couple stainless bore brushes from my PPC revolver days where we routinely used them to remove the leading, should I try to get the rust out with them?
Sorry for all the questions, just one more on history. Is it true these were Luftwaffe, ( German Air Corps) firearms, and were they issued officer, enlisted or what and were they even used during WW2. I respect the years of knowledge and expertise here and would like to have a little history from the horses mouth so to speak. I am finally appreciating the history that firearms represent and try to have a little with each firearm I acquire.
Also thanks for the offers, I am a member of the OGCA(Ohio) and may try to trade it for a better looking shooter, anything really that will represnt the Lugers place in WW2 history, I would love to have one with a holster. I'll shut up.
Thanks again, Ed