LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Artillery Lugers

Unread 10-27-2002, 04:38 PM   #1
Imperial Arms
Banned

Post Light Beach Wood Grips

Forum Members,

I have been searching for a fine Artillery Luger with matching stock for my collection and I have a few questions to ask before considering any purchase:

1) Approximately when did DWM start to include the light beach wood grips and were the grips randomly mixed in with walnut wood grips during production? Last year, I saw an outstanding 1917 Artillery with light wood grips, but do collectors still prefer Artillery Lugers with dark walnut wood grips? Is it more common to see Arillery Lugers with beach wood grips after 1917 than compared to Artillery Lugers with walnut wood grips?

2) In addition, I noticed that the same 1917 Artillery Luger had a matching magazine (light beach wood base) but the metal magazine body was blued - can this be correct, or were all Artillery Luger magazines nickled/plain metal?

3) What is the large crown proof which is stamped in the left side of the wooden stock? Is it an Imperial inspector's proof mark?

4) In what year did quality control start to decrease on the Artillery Lugers? Is it correct to observe tiny circular band machine marks around the barrel due to the possible lack of fine polishing before or after bluing? Is the front sight a fire blue or the same blue as the rest of the pistol?

5) In regards to Artillery cleaning rods, when was the brass tip discontinued? Were all Artillery cleaning rods proofed, maybe on the side of the handle?

6) Why is it common to see Artillery holster/stocks without straps and the magazine pouch? When these parts are usually missing, what is a possible explanation? Did the soldier find it more convenient to carry the pouch on the belt and, therefore had to remove the straps?

7) How many years apart have you seen the date of the pistol and holster?

I look forward to your answers/comments to my questions.

Cheers,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote