LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 06-05-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
waffenrec
User

Default 10010b

Hi at all, I have a friend, (I live in Argentina) who have this pistol, can anyone extend info about it? year, value, etc? Thanks
Adrian
waffenrec@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1768  

waffenrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #2
drbuster
User

Adrian, can you post pictures of the top of the pistol showing the rear sight? It appears that the sight from this single view is a standard 1900 type which would lend one to think this may be a rebarrelled 1900 and not the rarer 7 inch barrelled 1900's with the old type of rear adjustable sight. I can't tell for sure but I think it doesn't have a stock lug which would support a rebarrelled 1900 model. The serial number is in the prototype series. Would like to see other comments.
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...ighlight=10010

I am unsure why Albert commented on 10010, perhaps he knows something of it...
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I think Albert was making an estimate of the upper limit of 10000 range Lugers with the pushbutton stock. Kenyon estimates a slightly higher number (10000-10050). These Lugers are a limited production Commercial series that do not have the "B" suffix.

This gun, 10010B, would appear to be a prototype, possibly a precursor to the aforementioned 7" pushbutton stock variation. If it truly is a prototype piece the rear of the toggle should bear the GL monogram. Photos of the toggle rear and bottom of the rear grip strap plus as many interior part photos as possible (particularly the bottom of the receiver) are needed.

When I made the photo much lighter it appears that there is a stock lug but of a much thinner configuration than usual which might be an indication that this Luger also had a pushbutton stock.

Unread 06-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #6
Pete Ebbink
User

Does anyone think it unsual that the "10010" on the front of the frame shows no halo but the "B" does show halo...???...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

I have some thoughts about the "B" but it would be premature to speculate without more pictures. Hopefully they will be forthcoming.
Unread 06-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
waffenrec
User

Default 10010B

Hi friends, here are more pics.
Thanks
Adrian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1769  

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
waffenrec
User

Default 10010B

more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1775  

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #10
waffenrec
User

Default 10010B

pic.
Adrian
Argentina
waffenrec@yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1776  

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #11
waffenrec
User

Default 10010B

more pics
(sorry for the finger prints over the oil)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1777  

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #12
waffenrec
User

Default 10010B

more pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1778  

Unread 06-06-2007, 12:14 PM   #13
waffenrec
User

Default 10010B

last pic.
Can anyone determine it value?
Thanks
Adrian
Argentina
waffenrec@yahoo.com

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1779  

Unread 06-06-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Adrian,
It is almost certain that this is a scarce early Luger that used a pushbutton release type sholder stock. I would ask for two more pictures: one of the rear of the toggle below the rear sight to see any markings that may be there and one of the right side of the stock lug at the bottom of the grip to confirm that it has the slot detent that looks like the following photo. Thank you.

Unread 06-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #15
Imperial Arms
Banned

Hello Friends,

I have been in contact with Adrian for the past few weeks discussing other items and accessories when he mentioned this Luger to me. I had already received images of this Luger and I did not have permission to share the information on a forum.

Doc, this Luger is not a rebarreled M1900/02 and its configuration is correct. It is a standard M1900/02 pistol with a 7" barrel and a fixed sight which was previously equipped with a push-button stock which has gone missing. This pistol is NOT a prototype because I know of about five other pistols with the exact same configuration (7" barrel and a fixed sight) spread out between the serial range 10,000-10,050.

If this pistol had a tangent sight, its value would be significantly higher with or without a 'GL'. In view of the fact that this Luger does not have a 'GL', it can be considered that it was sold as a commercial pistol. It is likely that this particular Luger 10,010B went through the shop of the dealer Rassiti in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

The big question is the possible meaning of the B-suffix. Some collectors would think it has something to do with the barrel length, or the classification of the pistol has an experimental because of a specific detail/feature. If I had to take a wild guess, the B-suffix probably makes reference to a dealer or demonstration sample when they were revealed or sent from DWM to their various representatives around the world including the US.

During my extensive research on the Mauser C96 pistols, I have recorded a few special pistols which I call 'alphabet' C96 pistols which were made around the same period of 1902. These pistols are only numbered with a character such as L, M, Q, R and V. I suppose that DWM introduced a similar pattern of numbering for these dealer/demo sample pistols with new features, except that DWM used a block in the 10,000 serial range with the suffix-B and Mauser decided to use only characters. I do not classify the 'alphabet' C96 pistols as prototypes because there is no change or improvement in the operational system of the pistol. The new features which I have observed could be explained/described as 'cosmetic' which Mauser was probably trying to demonstrate to their dealers. The same concept can be applied to DWM whether or not these pistols remained as in-house specimens or they actually left the factory. I guess DWM may have preferred to send some pistols out which went to different parts of the world such as South America, Europe (including the UK) and Scandinavia.

As I have explained to some fellow collectors during personal conversations, it is important to view the wide picture of European arms manufacturing at the turn of last century in order to get an idea of how each company competed against each other or followed/copied each other even if a few were owned by the same (Loewe) family!

As the saying goes, "for every action, there is a reaction" and this phase can be applied to this very interesting and active period of European firearms improvements. It is our 'job' today to present logical and sensible explainations based on historical facts and designs.

Cheers,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2007, 01:58 PM   #16
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Thank you Albert for that update. It confirms my belief that this is a pushbutton stock Luger. The fact that it does not have a GL toggle marking brings me to my thought about the "B" suffix. The style of the "B", the fact that it is struck at a slight angle, and that it possesses a halo leads me to believe that it has been added. Someone either thought because it has a 10000 serial number it is a prototype and should have a B, or it was a deliberate attempt to pass it off as a prototype/demo piece. It is unfortunate in either case since the gun is rare enough on its own. I do not believe this piece left the factory with a B-suffix.
Unread 06-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #17
Imperial Arms
Banned

Hello Ron,

Based on the information which Adrian provided to me, he told me that this pistol was found at a countryside ranch in Argentina many years ago which I believe (based on its current condition). In addition, the present owner is not knowledgeable about the 10,000 series Lugers, so I doubt he or someone else in Argentina would make a deliberate attempt to stamp a B-suffix on the pistol to pass it off as a prototype/demo. When Adrian told me about this Luger which belongs to a friend, he did not describe it to me as a prototype and, in fact, he was trying to gain more knowledge about it. If someone was going to stamp a B-suffix at the time the pistol was discovered, the stamp would have not create a halo around the character, but instead it would have exposed bare metal which I do not observe on this B-character.

It is my opinion that this Luger serial #10,010B is correct, and I can vouch that Adrian is an honest fellow who is helping a friend find information about this Luger. I am aware that there are some crooks in South America, but I believe that this Luger has never fallen in the wrong hands.

It is a fact that the 7" barrel Lugers were made before those few pistols with 'bull' barrels of various lengths in the 10,030B serial range, therefore, it is reasonable to assume that this pistol 10,010B is correct. I have recorded that Luger serial #10,010 is a Tangent Sight Luger with the engraved 'SP' initials on the chamber owned by Ralph (see MNL book), and another 7" barrel Luger with a fixed sight #10,010 (with the same serial number, which is strange) being owned by a collector in California. I strongly doubt that DWM would make two Lugers with the exact serial number. If I had to take a wild guess, the B-suffix pistols were made first followed by those pistols in the 10,000 (commercial) serial range without a suffix.

Albert
Unread 06-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #18
Imperial Arms
Banned

Images of the push-button stock lug type on the pistol.

Unread 06-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #19
waffenrec
User

Default 10010B

Hi Albert

Thanks for yours words, as you told before, I am helping a friend with the pistol info.

At his request, I posted the pistol searching for more info, but as I supposed you are the boss.

I'll drink tonight a "Pi�±a colada" at your name Albert!!!!

Thanks again
Adrian
Unread 06-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #20
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Albert,
Thanks for the additional pics. It is a wonderful gun. I had absolutely no reason to doubt that Adrian is honest...his post obviously had no hidden agenda. The presence of the halo indicates that the B stamp was made a long time ago, but for the reasons I stated I remain skeptical that it started out life that way. You appear to have access to additional photos, so would it be possible to get a clearer shot of the front of the frame and serial number? It would be most appreciated and may help set my mind at ease.