LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-03-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
jackdalbak
New User

Default fair price range?

Hello Forum, I am new to this site, as well as the world of Lugers. My neighbor has a Luger for sale that I am interested in buying if the fair value is within my budget. At this point he has no idea of the value, and says he's going to Butterfield's Auction House for an appraisal. I've studied your site a bit, but am not a gun guy. He brought the pistol by for me to look at for a few minutes, and I did my best to check out what seemed to be the important details. I know I missed a few. I trust the fact that his father took this from a German officer in WW2 and that it hasn't been tampered with since then. Will someone please give me some idea of what this piece is worth? Toggle inscription: DWM, chamber: 1916, 9mm, Grip is checkered wood with no inscription (I did not determine type of wood), thumb safety says "gesichert" underneath, serial #3104, small parts I can see without disassembly all marked 04, proof mark is #15 (forum id designation), barrel also has same eagle as fourth symbol in #15 and 3104. Imeasured the barrel from bottom of muzzle to where it meets the "reciever" (correct name for part?). It measures 7 1/16". The sights are in good shape, magazine plug material seems to be aluminum or pot metal, with marking p08. Magazine has markings fxo with 3 lines below, and 37 below the lines. I took the grips off, and there was a small j 8 stamped in the corner of the framework. The bluing all seems uniform, and the strawing is present. There is a holster which matches the length of the piece. For the purpose of estimating a fair price, please consider this piece to be genuine, and everything in good condition. -Thanks for any help
jackdalbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

You are describing an artillery luger, $1200-$3500

All depends on originality, condition, etc.

Pictures would help. Lugers are not easy to just guess a value. If it is a 4 inch reblued or nickled
(doesn't matter if they say it has never been messed with, 60 years is a long time to remember),
then it is worth $500

if it is an original 1916 DWM artillery with a matching (note MATCHING) stock and holster, then it is worth $4500 / a matching artillery with matching holster only, might be worth $3000

Does it look like the top luger or the bottom luger;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	presentation1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	2323  

Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
jackdalbak
New User

Hi Edward, Thanks for your reply. It looks like the top picture only the grips are checkered. The reason I say it looks like the top, is only because of the barrel length. It is definitely not a 4" barrel. How does one determine if the stock and holster match? Is there a serial # on the holster somewhere? Thanks, Steve
jackdalbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2007, 08:14 PM   #4
GerColctor
User

Steve

Does it come with a wooden shoulder stock? If it has one, the metal piece that attaches the stock to the lug on the back of the Luger will have a serial number stamped on it. Holsters are not serial numbered, except for some police sets. The holster should have a date pressed into the leather, is it 1916 as is the gun? If the same year, then it is considered a matched rig.

What you have is a Imperial period LP-08 or commonly referred to as an "Artillery" model. The magazine is from WW II, while workable is not correct to this gun.

Checkered grips are correct to this Luger.

Is there a long wooden handle cleaning rod in the sleeve of the holster? If so that adds to the value.
Joe