LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-21-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
stantheboltactionman
User

Question "Black Widow" Years/Codes

Newbie Question,
I am sure this has been covered before somewhere on this forum...But I am getting too old and lazy to find it!!

Q: What are the years and codes of the so called "Black Widow" Luger?

Q: Can any Luger within the correct years/codes with black bakelite grips
be considered a "Black Widow"?

Q: Is there a certain suffix/Block that is assigned to the so called "Black Widow"?

Just curious, as to why "Black Widow" type Lugers sell for more than their walnut gripped cousins.
Thanks,
Stan
stantheboltactionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts
Default Re: "Black Widow" Years/Codes

Quote:
Originally posted by stantheboltactionman
Just curious, as to why "Black Widow" type Lugers sell for more than their walnut gripped cousins.
A successful marketing ploy.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts
Default Re: "Black Widow" Years/Codes

Q: What are the years and codes of the so called "Black Widow" Luger?

There are certain years, but it is not a true variation.

Q: Can any Luger within the correct years/codes with black bakelite grips
be considered a "Black Widow"?

NO, see Dwights reply

Q: Is there a certain suffix/Block that is assigned to the so called "Black Widow"?

No

There is lots of information here on the forum, go ahead and read through them...
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
stantheboltactionman
User

Unhappy

Dwight,Edward...
Thanks for the replies!!
SOOOO....If I pay more for a "Black Widow" ..... all I would really be paying extra for are the black bakelite grips... Sounds hosed up to me!!
I like wood better anyway.
Thanks,
Stan
"This year will go down in history. For the first time,a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer,our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler, 1935
Unread 01-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I think so Stan, and if you've had a week like me, you'd be old too! Oh, that is what you said!

But... But, since now many USA collectors beleive it is a variation, they DO go for more than just a normal gun. I like wood better too

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2005, 10:23 PM   #6
Dwight Gruber
User

Stan,

To be a bit less glib, late in 1940 wood for pistol grips and gun stocks began to be in short supply in Germany. The army decided to accept plastic as an acceptable substitute material for P-08 grips. Evidence is that they began to appear very sporadically as early as 1940. Use of plastic for Luger grips began in ernest in 1941.

Black bakelite grips were assembled onto byf-41 and byf-42 Lugers on an as-available basis. There was no rhyme or reason to this, it was simply a matter of which grips were available on the assembly line at any given moment.

At the same time the Haenel Schmeisser company began to manufacture Luger magazines with black bakelite magazine bases. These were the standard magazines for Lugers in 1941-42.

Statisically there were many fewer byf-41/42 Lugers with plastic grips. Still, in "Third Reich Lugers", estimates that 20% of production wore these grips. To enhance the value of his sales stock, noted Luger dealer and collector Ralph Shattuck coined the term "Black Widow" to differentiate these plastic-gripped guns from the more common wood-gripped examples and to excite the imagination about their use.

There is no way to determine which Lugers originally had bakelite grips, and it is safe to say that the liklihood is strong that any given byf-41/42 "Black Widow" has had its grips applied in the past few decades*. The trade in original black bakelite Luger grips is thriving--originals bring a lot of money by themselves--and there is an active cottage industry forging these grips to artificially enhance a byf Luger's value.

*(This is not to say that there are not Lugers out there wearing original black bakelite grips. Without provenance there is no way to know.)

--Dwight
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:28 PM   #7
MikeP
User

In the 60's when lugers were much cheaper and more commonly found in original condition, some were distained by collectors.
Some of these included unit marked and "double dates" also Erfurts for their crudeness.
At the bottom of the heap were the late nazi guns with the cheapo grips and the crude looking black finish.
A major dealer coined the phrase "Black Widow." I think originally this referred to the '41s.
The fish bit and the beat goes on.
MikeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
stantheboltactionman
User

Thanks to all who replied...
What I have bought from a fellow Luger collector is a 1940/42 with black bakelite grips... He did not call it a "Black Widow". Or price it as such.
Just a "1940 Mauser Luger in excellent original condition."
Based on your feedback, I assumed the grips did not originally come on the gun, but did not care as I have a set of original walnut grips to replace them with.
Thanks,
Stan
"This year will go down in history. For the first time,a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer,our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler, 1935
Unread 01-24-2005, 12:49 AM   #9
pipeman45
User

Stan. From what I've read in books and from one of the post here,those grips could be original to that gun. They did started useing them in 1940.
Unread 01-24-2005, 02:51 AM   #10
Dwight Gruber
User

Stan,

Are the grips black or brown? If possible, please post good, sharp pictures of the outside of the grips, and detailed photos of the backs.

Still reports that perhaps 2% of 1940 42-code Lugers came with black plastic grips, some with coarse brown Krieghoff type. Since this year's production is not normally considered in the "Black Widow" category, and the circumstances under which you purchased it, the grips may very well be original. Black Bakelite Luger grips have identifiable characteristics, the photos will all those here knowledgeable to express an opinion on the authenticity of the grips themselves.

What is the magazine with this gun like?

--Dwight
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #11
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

I'm of the opinion that the BPB/FXO mags were the standard second issue mag for some 41s and most 1942 PO8s, as you don't see many metal bottomed FXO mags with a + (plus) marking. Anyone have a 1942 military (police are the exception) with two "righteous" matching mags? TH
Unread 01-24-2005, 03:57 PM   #12
stantheboltactionman
User

Dwight,
The grips are black. The gun was purchased from Ralph Shattuck's World of Lugers several years ago. I have some pictures of the assembled gun
but don't have a camera here. I will try to figure out how to post the pictures.
The magazine is aluminum based pinned in center,matching serial to gun, plus marked. also marked WaA37 and "122" Looks to be matching (OLD).
Also gun and magazine are "f" suffix.
Thanks,
Stan
Adolph Hitler, 1935