LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 09-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
hansfischer007
User

Cool "Blind" opinion needed

Hey Guys.....had a dealer call me this morning.....that Ive done business with in the past.....said he had a guy just bring in a Luger Pistol on consignment......the Dealer is not that knowledgeable about Lugers so I had to kinda lead him thru on the description...but he said it was a DWM 1918 ...mismatched...but had an 8" Barrel .....condition was "good"...but the kicker was...the consignee had a price of $1,000 on it........and he laughed because he said..."aint no way someone is gonna pay that for a mismatch".......so.....just with everyones experience.....and I have no photos.....going by his shop in about a week to take a look.......whats your opinions as to "ballpark" a price."....I know...no photos..etc..etc....but if this was handed to you.......good condition...8" barrel....1918 DWM...mismatched....what would you think of offering..??......(and it could be a 6" barrel as the Dealer just looked at it without measuring).....so guess this is a real silly question...but I need a "starting point" and you guys can help me with your experience.....I appreciate any advice.....Hans Fischer
hansfischer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Hans:
This is a toughie and a WAG.
If it is rebarrelled to 8" with traditional sights, that is one thing. If it is and artillery barrel and sights, or if it is a mismatched artillery, then that is another.
Of course other factors include 9mm or .30 cal? Re-blued? Heavily buffed? Is it functional as a shooter? Any extras such as spare mags? And, does it have "charm", meaning does it hurt to look at it or does it have that "been around" look to it?
My point is that there are a ton of unanswered variables.
But getting back to the question. $1000 is not at all excessive for a decent mismatched artillery Luger. $1000 is top dollar for a shooter, however the long-snouted guns are nice to shoot.
So if you need a shooter, cautiously stay in the hunt. But if you are buying it as a bargain, better pass.
Hope this helps.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

agree with assessment above

longer barrels are fun to shoot and especially a 6 inch seems to sell for close to a thousand, PROVIDED it is in 9mm

A 7.65mm will fetch a couple hundred less many times.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

From the info given it could be a navy. If it is the case, even a mismatched one would be very desirable, therefore worth more than the run of the mill shooter. But without pics or answers to the questions above...