LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 12-31-2005, 10:17 AM   #1
marine kabar
User

Default "G" Date S/42 Pistol

I have a Luger rig that I've thought about selling and wondered if somebody could care to give me a real world value range. It's an early "G" date with W|154 and S|92 proofs so an early 1935 mfg pistol. Mechanically in excellent condition with excellent bore. All original with matching numbers and original finish, even still has strawing on small parts. But it does have finish wear with about 60% remaining. So overall a nice all original unmessed with piece but not one of those "safe queens" that command the really big bucks. I also have a 1936 holster with dwe (droop wing eagle) and marked "waA 387" in excellent condition and dwe/63 proofed loading tool. Also includes two correct magazines. Nickle bodies and aluminum bases and "dwe/63" proofs. So maybe a few months late for my pistol but still correct for a "G" date pistol. No...not matching numbers on the magazines, I'm afraid.

It's not for sale right now but it's a case of I may have to later and just want to be in a position to get a fair price for it. Maybe not as nice as many that guys on this forum own. But a decent example of a hard to find pistol made by Mauser when quality still ruled with German firearms.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	byf42.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	606  

marine kabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
SteveM
User

Greg,

What are the serial numbers and letter suffix on the mags? There may be someone here that these mags might match up to their G-date. Or, at least be the same letter block.

You might let us know the serial number of this pistol. Someone may have one(or both) of your magazines.

SteveM
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
marine kabar
User

SteveM

I bought both magazines from that guy, Tom, who sells a lot of Luger accessories via this forum. And I know he's good about making sure nobody needs one of his magazines to make a match. He'd be crazy not to. As for matching my pistol, I briefly thought of that. And more realistically thought of buying nothing but W|154 proofed magazines which would have been closer in mfg date to my pistol. But economic reality set it and I bought the dwe/63's. Appreciate the suggestion and if it were a "minty" pistol I'd be more inclined to do that.

Greg
Unread 12-31-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Greg, can you provide clear / close pictures of each side, to include proofs. Your picture shows a nice gun and holster, but not enought to give an approx. for value (your description was very good BTW).

60% finish is pretty poor, and would bring price waaay down for a collector.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2006, 09:18 AM   #5
Doug G.
User

Greg don't assume that Tom has the time to check to see if any of his mags match forum members guns. Please list them, while your at it list the serial number of your gun. Who knows maybe a forum member has the correct mag for your gun?
Unread 01-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #6
marine kabar
User

Doug

Good point! Here's the two magazines I own...both are the type with nickle bodies and aluminum bases. Both have the droop wing eagle/63 proofs

3852 E +

3033 F +

My "G" date pistol is 8452 B

Thanks
Greg
Unread 01-01-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Greg & Doug, Call me crazy, but I rarely advertise PO8 mags by serial, as one's chances of finding the CORRECTLY proofed, matching mag, are about the same as winning the lottery. At best, I attempt to find a correct one in the right letter block. It's a waste of my time to check for matching numbers. TH