LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All Post-WWII Lugers

Unread 10-11-2002, 12:30 PM   #1
Stu
User

Post Mitchell price check help

Hi all. I saw a 1993 Aimco / Mitchell stainless 4" in a shop today, asking $470 for it.

The left grip panel is loose and the sideplate is also a little loose. The cannon also has a slight touch of play.

My question is; is the loose sideplate a normal occurence ? It moves outward a discernable fraction. The trigger seems to work fine and there is plenty of trigger and sear travel left after the sear disengages.

Any comments on value for money ?

Thanks, Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 12:41 PM   #2
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
That sounds like a good buy to me. They make a great Luger shooter because you don't have to worry about breaking an antique part.

Aimco is the real name of the manufacturer behind the Mitchel and they stand behind their product. Getting hold of them is the hard part, but we have had many good reports for customer service about them. Often they don't even charge for repairs...

their contact information is on the Links & resources page. the link is on the left frame of the homepage.

If I had the money, it would already be in my gunsafe...

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 07:45 PM   #3
Steve Richards
User

I do not have my price list with me but the price new is about $700.00. Your price sounds good to me.All of John's comments are good ones and I agree with them. I own one of the 6" ones. One thing to look at is the magazine. If it has straight sides, replacemnts are only available through AIMCO. If there is the rib-like ridge like the German guns have, any Luger magazine will work. Mine is much more accurate than I am and I have gotten the bugs worked out and have magazines that work reliably.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 01:45 AM   #4
Steve Richards
User

I am home and looked at a Dec. 2001 letter from AIMCO and a new 4" gun is $695.00 Six inch is $725.00 and the black on stainles is $100.00 more on both.

Last weekend I had a chance to look at a reprint of a 1908 Sears catogue. Lugers were $25.00 which sounds cheap except the other pistols ranged from $10.00 to $15.00. So even then Lugers priced a lot more than their contemporaries.
Steve Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2002, 11:44 AM   #5
Stu
User

Thanks for the comments. You inspired me to action as it'd be nice to have a shooter I needn't worry about damaging.

Taking the new price of $695 + $30 shipping from the AIMCO price sheet and then adding GA tax at 6% makes $470 out the door a fair price a think.

I went and picked it up and it seems in good condition, but is full of grease at the moment, so needs a good cleaning.

It came with 2 mags, one stainless with wood bottom and the other blued with a plastic bottom, (and the original box, bag and blued Mitchell loading tool).

Both mags fit my BYF 41 so I think they're the standard P08 style.

The only concern I have is that there appears to be a little play in the main toggle axis; I'll investigate further but think I need to take this apart to check. Do you just drift out the small pin up through the toggle then drift the main pin out to the left ?

Knowing my luck at the moment it's a complete lemon, I hope I don't have to send it to the factory to get it fixed !

Addendum: I checked the play and posted a message in the restoration forum - any adivce on what to do next very welcome.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2002, 09:57 AM   #6
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
The answer to your question is Yes... you just drift out that pin and then the toggle pin itself can be drifted out...right to left if I remember correctly... but my advice is to not take this apart if you have no reason to. It might void the warranty...

Just clean it, shoot it and enjoy it! You got a keeper.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote