LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 04-26-2007, 03:00 AM   #1
crazyXgerman
New User

Smile Yet another "My first Luger" Thread

Howdy!

I recently bought my first Luger, and while researching it I came across this forum which looks like a great resource.

Today I picked it up (10-day wait - yay California!) and the first thing I did is take it completely apart down to the last bolt and spring for a thorough cleaning because it was caked in cosmoline.

Disassembly was a lot of fun. I really enjoy discovering the mechanics of a new (to me) pistol or rifle, completely tearing it apart, analyzing the pieces, and then putting them back together.

I am curious about a few things. On first glance, numbers seem to match:

Serial number 3723 on barrel, frame, and action.

On top of the action the DWM logo and double-dated 1920:

Here's where it gets interesting. On top of the extractor and next to the DWM logo are two-digit numbers that have been crossed/marked out.

More weirdness on the left side:

Two-digit number on the locking plate marked out, and a 23 hand engraved. Also, mismatching number on the locking lever.

When taking it apart, I found yet more pieces with a two-digit number that has been erased:

See trigger, bolt stop, safety sear, ...

... extractor, and trigger bar.

From what I read (and please correct me if this is wrong), I was under the impression that this is a commercial 1920 Luger. However, only Military Lugers had the two-digit numbers on all the pieces, not commercial ones.

Lastly, it has the following marking on the right side of the action:

And the following on the bottom of the barrel:

The top line reads Luger P08 9mm Germany.

The bottom line reads CAI ST ALB VT.

Any idea what those letters mean?

The pistol is mechanically in excellent condition. The bluing is excellent on the action, good on the grip but with some pitting.

I'm not an expert but I think it may have been reblued.

So, what is the general opinion about this piece? I was born and raised in Germany but now live in California. I have always wanted a Luger because it is such an interesting pistol and a piece of history, so I am pretty excited about adding this to my collection.

I'd love some input about some of the markings and the numbering to help me understand more about its origin and value.

Appreciate your comments.

Regards,

Alex
crazyXgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Alex, Your 1920 dated DWM PO8 was newly made after WW1 and accepted into the Weimar army. It appears to be one of the DDR or Russian reworked lugers recently imported into the USA by Century Arm Intl. of St.Albans, VT. These are currently selling in the $600 price range as shooters. TH
Unread 04-26-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
crazyXgerman
New User

Wow, great info, thanks, guys - you really know your stuff

Yes, I figured out the part about the magazine not matching. It is kind of ill-fitting, has the aluminum botton, and no serial number. Apparently having a matching mag is a rare thing anyway.

Even though the finish may not be perfect, I am pleased with the very nice mechanical condition of the pistol. It definitely does not look its age.

I am looking forward to taking it to the range this weekend.

Question: I think I will replace the grips and get a couple of new magazines for it.

Any recommendations?
Unread 04-29-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
crazyXgerman
New User

Took the Luger to the range today and put about 60 rounds through it with new Mec-Gar magazines.

Shoots great (though a touch high), nice groupings, functions well.
Unread 05-06-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts

ERIC, I had been in a simular situation, Go with your first instint, Like sniffing a peach or a fresh pair, because whether your right or wrong, it didnt look koscher enough to run it by the others at temple, instead of showing your inlaws, youll probobly keep it hidden, Why is he etting rid of it, maybe he knows something we all have missed, If it was a high ender, I would enlist a proffessional appraiser, like Mr Simpson,
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote