LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 04-07-2005, 07:05 PM   #1
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default 1908 Bulgarian is it a shooter?

According to the books I have been studying, I have a 1908 Bulgarian Luger. Although the toggle assembly is mis-matched, it is a correct Bulgarian toggle with a correct extractor. In addition to this replacement, one of the grips has also been replaced. One grip is virtually new and one is completely worn out. Keep in mind that Bulgarian Lugers do not interchange grips with other Lugers because of the lanyard loop. That loop is missing on my Luger, but the holes are there and the grips that are in place do provide clearance for the loop. The â??DWMâ? that is supposed to be over the chamber has been ground off as well as the proof mark on the right side of the receiver. It is my contention that this pistol went to an arsenal in Bulgaria; probably during the second world war. It was refurbished there by replacing the toggle assembly and one grip and probably cleaning. So why was the DWM ground off? Was it an act of defiance against Germany? Has this condition shown up in other Bulgarian Lugers? This Luger has been in my safe for 25 or 30 years and I have always considered it just a mismatched luger. Only recently did I come to the realization that the correct toggle & extractor and correct grips had to have been done by the arsenal and hopefully restored its integrity. I have pictures if needed. My question is am I going down the right track or is this just a shooter? Also, referring to the book Luger Variations by Harry E. Jones, the author states that he knows of only two examples of this variation. Certainly more have been discovered since this printing (1967). Do you know if there is a current estimate of the number of these Bulgarian models are still around? If you would like to see pictures, copy these web addresses onto your browser and the pictures should come up.

http://members.aol.com/rmb64mmb/luger.htm
http://members.aol.com/rmb64mmb/luger2.htm
http://members.aol.com/rmb64mmb/luger3.htm
http://members.aol.com/rmb64mmb/luger4.htm
http://members.aol.com/rmb64mmb/luger5.htm
Thanks Mike B.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2005, 08:03 PM   #2
Ron Smith
User

Hi Mike,
John Walter's Luger book states that the early contract Bulgarians were marked with the Bulgarian crest over the chamber and on the right forward receiver.These had a DWM marked toggle.
It's possible that this was an early contract Luger that was refurbed by the Bulgarians. And the early crests were ground off the chamber and right side of the receiver. And the DWM toggle was replaced with the Bulgarian Crest marked toggle. This would be a way of preventing having an early crest on the chamber, and a later simplified crest on the toggle. This would explain the grinding on the right receiver. Sort of an updated marking of the pistol. A neat and scarce Luger.
As far as shooting it? I would'nt, unless the toggle was replaced first. I'm guessing that it has respectable value, all things considered. If the toggle cracks, or you break the extractor, you are going to regret it. They would be irreplacable.

Ron
I Still Need DWM side plate #49... if anyone runs across a nice one.

What ~Rudyard Kipling~ said...
Ron Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2005, 09:03 PM   #3
Mike B
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks Ron, for the positive and informative reply. Any idea how many Bulgarian 08's are out there? I really do not want to shoot it, just a term I applied to a mismatched luger. Thanks again, Mike
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
Heinz
User

Ron is correct. There are a number of the later model Bulgarians around, but they are rare. They are also typically in very rough shape unless they have been boosted a bit. They fought in two world wars and all the Slavian conflicts in between.

Don't shoot it. I would leave the griips alone and look for a lanyard loop (even a repro). Holsters are fairly easy to find. I believe TomA will trade a nice Bulgarian holster for two bottles of 15 year old Jefferson Reserve.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #5
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

I don't believe the early model theory holds up as those pistols were 1900s and 1906s with grip safeties.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2005, 11:29 AM   #6
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Mike, I recently picked up a large batch or original M1908 Bulgarian grips in a trade. I have a few spare right sides (almost all are stamped with a "2" inspector's mark inside) all well worn in the $10 to $15 range. I also have several sets in the $25 G to $50 VG range. Tom 636-447-3006 for details.
Unread 04-11-2005, 02:02 AM   #7
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,282 Times in 424 Posts

Mike,

Bulgarian P-08 are commonly found "sanitized" in a manner similar to yours. That is, all the markings which might betray its origin--either as an "Imperial" weapon or an Eastern-bloc weapon--are removed. There are two predominate theories for this: that when Bulgaria was taken over by the Soviets all the markings which betrayed a Monarchial connection were removed; or markings which identified it as a Communist country of origin were removed in order to import it into the US. Each theory has its adherents, and there is insufficient documentation for either. You can find a useful discussion here http://www.gunboards.com/luger/topic...erms=bulgarian on Jan Still's Luger collectors' forum.

Theres no telling how your Luger might have come by its stamped toggle train.

These Lugers are scarce, and it appears that yours is sufficiently authentic to take its place in a non-shooting collection.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote