LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 03-07-2001, 06:46 PM   #1
Matt
User

Default P.38 retaining pin removal question

Does anyone know how to remove the pin that retains the takedown lever on a P.38? The pin is worn and causes the takedown lever to pop out when the slide is pulled back. A couple of sources I've checked list the part as available, but I don't have a clue how to remove it.

Unread 03-07-2001, 08:31 PM   #2
Marvin
User

Default Re: P.38 retaining pin removal question

Matt,

The dissaembly of the takedown lever is as follows: Rotate the takedown lever to a point midway betweenits two positions and pressit out from right to left. Take care its spring and plunger do not fly out and become lost.

The spring and plunger are for keeping pressure on the lever. Maybe someone else knows a better way???? This has worked for me.

Marvin

Unread 03-07-2001, 09:25 PM   #3
Tracy

Default Re: P.38 retaining pin removal question

Marvin is right. You may find that you are missing the plunger pin I had the same problem. The previous owner had taken it apart and let the spring fly some place. I was able to get parts from John Raum, also try Tom Heller. Both are outstanding Gentlemen.

Unread 03-07-2001, 09:38 PM   #4
Matt
User

Default Marvin and Tracy,

Upon closer examination, I can tell the retaining pin and spring are staked into the frame and will not come out. The takedown lever falls out on its own. Unless I can work this problem out with the seller, I may have to have it repaired. The pistol is in excellent condition otherwise and I don't want to risk "boogering" it up. Do you know of any good P.38 gunsmiths?

Thanks,

Matt

Unread 03-07-2001, 11:34 PM   #5
tom heller

Default Re: Marvin and Tracy,

Matt, If you can see the TD lever plunger inside the frame through the hole just behind the slot for the lever, chances are that the spring is dead or missing, because with the lever removed these usually fly out with some force. You would not believe how many of these I have sold, because they flew out and disappeared into the carpet. Best to do this job IN A BOX. If you can see the plunger through the hole, try to move it forward with a small jewelers screw driver through the hole, but point it in a safe direction, preferably into a box. Tom

Unread 03-08-2001, 12:37 PM   #6
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Marvin and Tracy,

Hi Folks,

This is a "good, bad, and ugly" subject :-(

In some P.38's the takedown lever plunger is staked in place and is a real bear to remove. If you cannot coax it out via Tom's method you may have a pistol with the plunger staked in place. The only way to remove a plunger that is staked in place is to remove the stake. This is done by *very* carefully drilling out the stake.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Kyrie

Unread 03-08-2001, 10:35 PM   #7
Matt
User

Default The plunger is staked ...

But the good news is the seller is going to take the pistol back for repair. Thanks for your help guys.

Matt