LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 08-25-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
carl1000
User

Default Question about black widow Lugers and wooden grip guns

From what I have read and watched videos of, isn't it true that you can take any 40-42 BYF Luger and turn it into a black widow just by changing out the grips and the magazine? So, when someone is selling a black widow Luger, is not impossible to tell for sure that it was that way from the factory?

If it is impossible, I guess I'm confused by the collectibility of them other than they look cool being all black. I know the grips and the magazines are more rare. Just curious if I correct in thinking this.
carl1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to carl1000 for your post:
Unread 08-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Hi Carl,
You are 100% correct.
Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Norme for your post:
Unread 08-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,611 Times in 525 Posts

"Black Widow" is a term coined by the late, well known Luger collector and salesman Ralph Shattuck. It was a sales gimmick that worked too well. Officially there is no "Black Widow" but it has gained acceptance and I suppose we're stuck with it.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to Doubs for your post:
Unread 08-26-2020, 01:02 AM   #4
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Black Bakelite grip panels

Hi carl1000, It is possible to tell if some of the byf 41's were NOT issued with black grips, as the number crunchers have pretty much determined when in 1941 production, they started to turn up with some frequency... (I used to know, thought it was in the "t" suffix range?) So, before that serial range, the likely hood of finding them would be slight, and after that, probably a 50/50 chance thru all of the byf 42's? They used wood and Bakelite both right thru the end of production. And, I believe many spare sets were made because back in the 1960's and 1970's when their was a distinct aversion to plastic, they were readily available... and seldom requested... In fact, most collectors didn't like them at all.. Now it's all different.. best to you, til...lat'r...GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 08-26-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
George Anderson
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,527 Times in 786 Posts

Back in the Sixties when I was in college in Kentucky I spent a lot of time at gun shows. Whenever I acquired a Luger with bakelite grips, be they black or brown, I switched them out for Walnut grips as I thought the former looked cheap.
George Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 9 members says Thank You to George Anderson for your post:
Unread 08-26-2020, 08:29 AM   #6
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
Back in the Sixties when I was in college in Kentucky I spent a lot of time at gun shows. Whenever I acquired a Luger with bakelite grips, be they black or brown, I switched them out for Walnut grips as I thought the former looked cheap.
And they still do!
The following 4 members says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 08-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

I bought one of Ralph's specials from a MidWestern buyer whom Ralph sold on the mystique of the "black widow"...

It did, in fact, come with original bakelite grips... except that the left one was actually a type 1 Brown Ritzmann grip that Ralph had carefully lacquered black`.....

The black goo came off cleanly with the right chemical cleaning... I still have that grip available should anyone need it for a Krieghoff where it belongs.

The one thing that does make bakelite grips and magazine bases useful is that they are not numbered (except for the magazines of the Ku pistols). That means that you can suddenly have a "matching" Luger by replacing wood grips and aluminum based magazines with the Bakelite variety. That is why these parts are expensive.
Unread 08-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #8
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

"The one thing that does make bakelite grips and magazine bases useful is that they are not numbered (except for the magazines of the Ku pistols). That means that you can suddenly have a "matching" Luger by replacing wood grips and aluminum based magazines with the Bakelite variety. That is why these parts are expensive."

That's one of the reasons, the other, unfortunately, is the "Nazi Mystique" that the black color evokes.
Norm
Unread 08-26-2020, 11:46 AM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
And they still do!
Unless you are buying them! I remember when you had trouble giving those grips away... Now you can make a down payment on a house with them.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to John Sabato for your post: