LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-13-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Taliaferro
New User

Default Need Help identifying undated, .30 DWM Luger

Greetings everyone. I'm looking for assistance in identifying a Luger I recently aquired (If you only had a dollar for every time you hear that line, right?). I've done a considerable amount of research over the last 24 hours but feel I've reached the limit of my amateur detective work.

Here are the details:

1) Marked DWM on toggle

2) No date on receiver near barrel

3) extractor, behind rear sight, on safety catch, etc. etc.

4) Chambered in .30 Luger

5) 4 inch barrel (from tip to chamber)

6) Magazine has wooden floor plate. No serial number or markings found anywhere on magazine.

7) Has stock lug

8) Single tiny German Military proof mark on the side of the joint on the toggle.

9) Front sight doesn't appear to be standard... it looks like it was replaced, though some time ago (1930's?).

Here is the really interesting part... other than the serial number(s), the tiny proof mentioned above and the GESICHERT on the safety, there are no other markings or proofs of any kind on the gun and no import marks. Most examples of Lugers I have seen have markings everywhere. This one is the most devoid of stamping example of a Luger I've seen. What exactly do I have here?

According to the previous owner, a very elderly gentleman who was a friend of his passed away and the gentleman's family asked him to help sort through the very cluttered estate. Upon searching through the late gentleman's belongings, a cache of hidden away antique firearms was discovered. In appreciation for his assistance, the family gave the previous owner his choice of one of the antique guns, and naturally he selected the Luger, which spent the last 10 years in his gun safe until I obtained it. Apparently it has been looked at by many an FFL and arms collector and nobody seems to be able to agree as to what it is. Some thought it to be a 1914 commercial, others didn't know what to make of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are pics, and I do apologize for the crappy cell phone resolution and lighting. I took close ups of all the markings present:

FOCUS ON PROOF MARK ON TOGGLE:

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited by Taliaferro; 03-13-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Updated information
Taliaferro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dwm, luger, no date, no date stamp, undated