LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 03-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Texasguy
New User

Question How do you determine year? - teach a man to fish?

I have an interest in a luger for sale and have been researching exactly what it actually is; it's a personal friend selling , so time is not really an issue. Been doing a lot of reading but have hit a roadblock.

I have used the links and info on here to ID the Luger as an "Alphabet Commercial"- 30cal made by DWM - it has a four digit serial number with suffix and all the other markings described on this forum (and other places).

Now, on to the "I am stumped" part - how in the world do you determine the year of manufacture? Is there a serial number reference in one of the books often described on this site? I saw the ebooks for sale - are there references tables there?

I see a lot of "post the markings and pics' responses... I would really like to know where/what the reference material is...versus being told....hence the "teach a man to fish" reference

Thanks
Texasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Determine the year by the suffix. We can pin it down, but not down to the day, or week. Month... maybe. Buy a book. A chart is in Still's Weimar Lugers.

FN

Last edited by FNorm; 03-11-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: add
FNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
Texasguy
New User

Default Suffix 'R'

Actually, just the year would be awesome. I would be interested to know the year and if you can tell me; the reference?
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Tell me the suffix, Jan Still's, Weimar and early Lugers". 1993. You'll see them for sale hee every once in a while

FN
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
Texasguy
New User

Dang, the suffix is R...I put it in the subject and left it out the actual post....sigh....been a long day.
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

AH! Ok, I saw it just as your answer came in....LOL Pg. 15. R series was about the last 3/4 of 1928. So, 10,000 to a block and assuming a steady, constant production rate, you can pin the month down a little closer by your serial number

FN

Last edited by FNorm; 03-11-2011 at 10:33 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Texasguy
New User

Default A little clarification?

Very cool. Not sure I understand all of your reply though. If you have enough patience, I would appreciate a little education.

In reference to the statement "Pg. 15." R series was about the last 3/4 of 1928.

What does "Pg. 15." refer to? Magic Luger Book page 15?

10,000 to a block - - a block is the production run...when they hit 10000 they started over at 1 with another suffix, is that correct?

Thanks - BTW, well moderated forum you guys have here...read quite a few thread...seems like all adults
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
FNorm
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Pg 15 is the aforementioned book, Weimar Lugers. Correct on the block. They started at #1, went to 10,000 then started again with 1A, etc. The unsuffixed block is called ns, ' no suffix '. Earlier lugers used a 5 digit number. All the military used the 4 digit plus suffix. Eventually this numbering system come the the commercial ones also. All the letters were used except J.

FN
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Tex, it would be helpful and great to see pictures of this luger. Many times a person has a luger and it is mismatched, or is nickled or by gum, is SIMPLY not a luger.

So, full serial number, etc on it.

There are thousands of lugers that were cleaned up and don't have a date and then was sold on the commercial market.

So, simply us assuming that it is a commercial alphabet luger is not always true

So, in my library, here in Iraq (which weighed about 40 lbs), I have 5 luger books. The best all around are Jan Still's books, and for what yours sounds like, Weimar Lugers by Jan is the book you need. At home, I have another 10-12 luger books, 5 or 6 P38 books, etc; knowledge is everything and although many folks rely on the internet, I personally like to hold and touch and look up information.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasguy View Post
... BTW, well moderated forum you guys have here...read quite a few thread...seems like all adults
mostly, it helps that there is no alcohol here in Iraq for me to imbibe in at night

oh, ok, we self moderate and we take our collecting serious, so almost everyone here is trying to learn. I learn something new very often.

Ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Hugo Borchardt
User

I wouldn't be surprised if Jan Still's working title for Weimar Lugers was Magic Luger Book. His books are that good.

Nice shootin', Tex!

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default Valuation

Steven,

Your initial post indicated that you want the value of your friend's Luger.

With pictures, the group here can help you with that.

There is a great variation in Luger prices depending on a large number of factors. $400 - Sky's the Limit...

If you have an all matching 1923 Alphabet DWM (Commercial) luger in 7.65 Luger, and it's in the original finish and undamaged it's value is probably in the $700 range - more or less depending on condition.

Marc
Unread 03-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNorm View Post
Pg 15 is the aforementioned book, Weimar Lugers. Correct on the block. They started at #1, went to 10,000 then started again with 1A, etc. The unsuffixed block is called ns, ' no suffix '. Earlier lugers used a 5 digit number. All the military used the 4 digit plus suffix. Eventually this numbering system come the the commercial ones also. All the letters were used except J.

FN
Good as far as it goes, as a description of the overall military numbering scheme. The 5-digit commercial numbering ended at approximately sn 92000, followed immediately with the four-digit/suffix scheme beginning at approximately sn 2000i.

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
seems like all adults
During our history which spans more than a decade, we have had some VERY mature teenagers who have been members of this forum, and who have thrived in this helpful environment... we encourage new folks with a desire to learn. Like Ed Tinker said, hardly a day passes when we all don't learn something new here.

,... and lately...we have also some really immature 40+ year olds... who are no longer part of this forum because they have been banned, and are not welcome to come back...

Ignorance is a condition where you make mistakes because you don't know any better. This is a condition from which most intelligent people can be cured with guidance and education...

Unfortunately, there appears to be no cure for Stupid, regardless of the age.

Obviously you do not appear to fall in the last group. Welcome from a fellow 63 year old student of the Luger pistol!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alphabet, commercial, dwm, reference, year