LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Announcements

Unread 11-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #1
Admin
Administrator

Default Test Drive....

While I am still working on it - I have a test replacement forum you can play on.. While I'm still crunching the back end programming - you are invited to play...

As well - if you make a POST ON THE TEST FORUM linked below - it will be overwritten during the final migration...

One last thing... I'm using a database snapshot from a while ago - and it takes about 12-15 hours to import, update - recode.. Sooo... At the final upgrade - we can keep this forum live - but - posts from that point on will NOT be listed on the new forum...

OR.....

I can close this one off during that time..??

Here is the TEST SITE:

http://72.71.199.53

As well - I need to go to my afternoon job for a while - so I'll check back later, OK??

John
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

John,

Nice work! I guess the safest way is to choose the time when the least people are active and post some sort of 'posting warning' (perhaps with a color scheme change) on the 'old forum' while updating?
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Maybe too confusing for John, just post a "Upgrade in progress" (so it doesn't open into at all) and leave it be?

Just my 2 cents,

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Admin
Administrator

My thanks guys..!

I'm still doing some feature and style work - BUT - I'm almost ready..?

I think - my biggest fear - is that new folks register or one or two put up a great thread, that won't be pulled?? SO - I'm thinking maybe close this one off..?? If I start a pull on a week night (maybe tonight?) - let it download and start the database transition - sometime in the morning next day it should be good?? As the new server will use the SAME IP address - there is no problem there..?

Also - anyone have any problems logging into the new site..?

My thanks again!

John D.
Unread 11-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I had no problem logging in. Good luck on the upgrade, I know it isn't a trivial effort.
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Admin
Administrator

Hey - thanks Ron!!!

I think I'll do this tonight - as the LugerForum is quieter on a week night than a weekend night??

My thanks again!

John
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

John D,

My recommendation is the same as Ed... put up an upgrade message on the homepage for the migration so we don't lose any posts... and lock the door on this forum until the upgrade is finished.

Please send me a PM or an email when you have finished. Thanks for your never ending support of the forum.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
Admin
Administrator

Hey John!

No problem..! As well - I'll make you and Ed SuperMods (well - definitely you?? Not sure about Ed yet?? As well - after I get the forums pulled - I want to put the main HTML site on the same server (it's on another server now - so I'd like to pull them together?)..

Anyway - it could be a long night..!!

And John S. & Ed?? Really - my thanks to you two and all the folks for their support over the last years... It's been a lot of years, hasn't it??!!! I think it's been since the year 2000 - believe it or not!!!

John D.
Unread 11-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

John, Actually I believe that it has been since 1998... on your servers, and since 1995 or 96 on the Taiwan servers in its original incarnation... A very long and cheerful association.

I am glad you are not using SMF software... I know several sites that have been hacked in the last week or so... Vbulletin is much better... feature rich and dependable.

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to John Sabato for your post:
Unread 11-19-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
Admin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by John Sabato
John, Actually I believe that it has been since 1998... on your servers, and since 1995 or 96 on the Taiwan servers in its original incarnation... A very long and cheerful association.

I am glad you are not using SMF software... I know several sites that have been hacked in the last week or so... Vbulletin is much better... feature rich and dependable.
It's been ten years?? Actually - I think you may be right..??!!! That John - makes BOTH of us REALLY OLD!!!! HEH!!!

Anyway....

Yea - I actually had to re-purchase the vB license last week - as for the life of me - I couldn't find the one I bought 6-7 years ago for LugerForum? Go figure... Also - here is the new server specs/circuit...

The new server sits in my office (above my garage - I'm a Porsche freak so I have a pretty nice garage - and upstairs are finished offices.. Circuits I have are 30MBs up/down Fiber, two T1s, a muxed SDSL at 5MBs, and a single SDSL (from my FQDH and mail servers..)..

As for the actual server??? The new server is a Core 2 Quad (4 processors @ 2.33GH), 8GB of memory, RAID1 SATA drives at 10,000RPM spindles and a back-up 650GB SATA. That's connected to a 1GB internal LAN (NAT) and goes through some extensive firewall routers - and gets linked to the 30MB fiber circuit...

Darn - if this thing goes down - it will put my neighborhood into a blackout...

Best to you John!!! You've been there since the days in Taiwan - and yep - it's been a long time, I guess??

Ready to do this migration (again - how many times over the years???)...!!!

OK - tonight we'll do it...

My Best to you!

John D.