LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 06-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Steve D
User

Default Looking for a Swiss History Book

I have a question for the Swiss collector.

I have been trying to document the history behind a particular mark on a 1906 / 1920 (?) Swiss refurbished DWM made 7.65mm Parabellum.

John Walters "Luger Book" documents a particular Swiss gunsmith named Robert Fluckiger (P. 116) who refurbished a small quantity of commercial Parabellums in 1923 to 25. Fluckiger's mark was considered a proof and consisted of an enrayed Federal Cross enclosed in a bow with the letters "FZ" (meaning "Fluckier of Zurich") and was stamped on the front right side of the receiver.

My pistol has an identical mark, but the letters are "RB". The mark is also stamped on the bottom of the magazine.

My search for the maker of this mark has led to a Swiss book entitled "Schweizer Waffenschmiede vom 15. bis 20 Juhrhundert" (Swiss Armory from the 15th to the 20th Century), published in 1976 by Hugo Schneider. This book supposedly details Swiss proof and gunsmith marks. The book is available, but very expensive.

Is there a collector who has this book and, if so, would you be willing to consult it and see if it mentions "my" gunsmith, "RB", who worked in the early 20s? I would also like to know if this Swiss mark is unique to Fluckiger or was it a standard mark approved by the Swiss Armory and the individual gunsmith would attach his own initials?

I previously posted a few photos of this pistol back on 11-25-2011.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1906 - 4.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	26959  

Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:40 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

I have seen a reworked Swiss with a "FB" which was considered to be "Fluckiger Bern". I had hoped that was the mark on your gun, but from the photo it is definitely "RB" so I have no clue. I suspect that your assumption is correct that this is an approved standard marking for reworks (probably limited to guns intended to be sold in Switzerland) and bore the initial of the gunsmith and location of the rework.
I have a bunch of books on Swiss pistols, unfortunately not the one you reference. I have not found any rework information in my library other than FZ, but I will keep on looking. I feel certain that your RB mark is authentic and I hope you can find the source information.
Ron
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
swissdagger
User

stamp of Gottlieb II Rickenbacher (1871-1951),gunsmith in Basel.
Was authorizied to repair Swiss Army Weapons.
swissdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to swissdagger for your post:
Unread 06-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Steve D
User

Swissdagger, THANK YOU very much. How exciting to read your post! I am the grandson of Swiss emigrants and we have Swiss friends near our home who retired from Basel.

Rickenbacher died the year I was born. Unfortunately, I have no provenance for this pistol and have spent many evenings caressing its beautiful lines and admiring its exquisite rust blue. What masters these Swiss gunsmiths were! I wonder what this pistol would say if it could talk?

I also have a nice DWM New Model Swiss military which bears the Federal Cross on a sunburst from the second batch of 10,215 ordered. I attached a few photos.

Steve S.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Swiss 1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	27110  

Name:	Swiss 2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	27111