LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Commercial Lugers

Unread 10-17-2020, 02:16 PM   #21
Yakman
User

Dwight your #18 Post was written while I was writing #19.

If you can change convention I'm all for it. I am not resistant to change. Have seen it many times, in about all areas, in my life.

However, in 27 years Jan Still's laudable attempt to do it with "1920" and "1923" Commercials has only created confusion. Please don't get me wrong, I said "laudable attempt". Had it worked I'd be happy to accept it. His terms are practically never used outside the two Forums and quite often not even in the Forums. When they are used they are followed with an explanation in order to be understood. Excess verbiage. This has nothing to do with me or my opinions, it's only my observations and experience.

Dwight, I think there are just too many inconsistencies in Luger designations to change them in one lifetime. I really don't know why anyone ( read that as self proclaimed arbiter) would even want to try since, due to convention, nothing is broken. I see it as "tilting at windmills".

Jack
Yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #22
Yakman
User

Norme, I agree with your quote. Respectfully, I think you should have stopped there.

I have expressed appreciation for Dwight's monumental efforts, but to your Post, no one has any "right" to tell me, or anyone else, what to think or what to conform to. I don't think it is Dwight's position to suggest he has that privilege. He can speak for himself.

Let me be clear, convention is not an arbiter of anything. I am convention, I, over the years, have joined with a multitude of like minded individuals in a mutually understood area of understanding forming a convention. No one needs to, or is required to, accept that convention.

Norme, I'm not being critical of you, I'm only stating my position in light of your Post #20. No one's efforts or good works gives them dominion over another's thinking or actions. If it did Mother Theresa would have ruled the world...in the minds of some. You get the point.

Jack
Unread 10-17-2020, 04:42 PM   #23
Heinz
User

I am with Dwight and Norme.
"Clone" seems to have an accepted usage in the firearms lexicon: as in "1911 Clone" "AR15 Clone" inferring that the object is a very close copy by a different manufacturer. An S&W 1911 is a 1911 clone, a Colt Commander is not a 1911 clone, but a different model. It is typically used as jargon, not as a definitive category. If you want to pick nits you might look up Webster's definition of convention. Dwight's use of clone is conventional.

The problem with 1923 commercial for the 1918 to 192? serial-numbered commercial and 1920 commercial for the later alphabet serial numbered commercials is those designation are inaccurate and misleading.
Heinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2020, 04:49 PM   #24
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakman View Post
Norme, I agree with your quote. Respectfully, I think you should have stopped there. (be nice)
Norme, I'm not being critical of you, I'm only stating my position in light of your Post #20. No one's efforts or good works gives them dominion over another's thinking or actions. ...

Jack
I disagree a bit, although we all mostly understand the phrases used in the past, many times they are just wrong. Such as 1903 French and many others. The early phraseology was many times wrong by the early book writers as they didn't know.

I like to say 1902 carbine or fat barrel - Dwight likes things in certain boxes (although he is far better at words than me).

-------
I am reading some older articles a friend sent me, early stuff by Kenyon and some others and to todays ears and writing, it sounds weird (commercial Simson, etal)

ed
Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Edward Tinker for your post:
Unread 10-18-2020, 03:22 AM   #25
Dwight Gruber
User

Thanked 1,281 Times in 423 Posts

Quote:
...I agree dated commercial collector designations carry no evolutionary information relative to their official origins. However, I say that is neither necessary nor their purpose. Their purpose, from my point of view, is to provide a shortcut to a mental picture of the subject Luger, that's all. The excess verbiage adds nothing to the conversation that can't added later if called for...

Jack,

I think you have identified the crux of the matter beyond which we will not agree.

The assemblage of Luger collector variations which has grown up over time has served the purpose, as you say, of providing experienced collectors a shorthand way to discuss, buy, and sell Lugers.

The problem is, most of the accepted Luger collector designations are simply counterfactual. Casual repetition of these prevailing designations fosters the continuation of erroneous “conventional wisdom,” and it deceives the faith of new collectors—and experienced collectors as well, for that matter—who trust that more experienced collectors mean what they are talking about. The “shortcut to the mental picture” is an intellectual disservice if the shortcut itself is in error.

This presents a bar to the casual Luger owner who simply wants to know about their Luger, or to historians or persons who simply want to read up on the topic. Conventional collector designations are not descriptive. A person with casual interest cannot understand anything about the topic until they have overcome the jargon of Luger collecting, only to discover that what they have learned is objectively wrong and must be explained away.

More adequate collector designations would be based on physical characteristics or manufacturers’ designations, in as simple a notation as is practical. Yes, this application leads to more discussion (that is a good thing) as it becomes an integral part of a collector’s vocabulary. This is no different from conventional designations, particularly as more and more (dated) variations proliferate an must be explained.

I regret that we cannot sit down together and have this conversation..

--Dwight
Dwight Gruber is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 10-18-2020, 10:49 AM   #26
spacecoast
User

It might be nice to see a list of current "best practice" variation names along with what they are commonly known as, or used to be known as in the past. I could even see a moderator making that a "Sticky".

Looking for a DWM Commercial side plate #95
spacecoast is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to spacecoast for your post:
Unread 10-18-2020, 12:39 PM   #27
Dwight Gruber
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast View Post
It might be nice to see a list of current "best practice" variation names along with what they are commonly known as, or used to be known as in the past...

That, my friend, is a subject for a book.

--Dwight
The following member says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 10-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #28
Yakman
User

Dwight,

You have said nothing from your point of view I disagree with. I don't like to think in terms of agreement or disagreement. I agree the matter of Luger identification is a daunting jumble of misinformation leading only to confusion for folks wanting break into this field of gun collecting. I say "break in" because no doubt the present convention is a barrier.

I am part of that convention, probably to my detriment, because I grew up in it, so to speak. Things developed slowly over the years, so were easily absorbed. Take my 63 years of accumulation, it goes back further than that, and dump it on an aspiring individual today, it's no wonder they give a blank stare and just move on. It has to affect the future of Luger collecting, the subject of a Thread on this Forum.

If convention could be changed, I'm for it. But, what can one person do? I think you'd have huge support for what you want to do but without your depth of knowledge what can anyone do other than agree with you. (I'm being rhetorical, these are more statements than questions.) How do you change the status quo? How do you change the thinking of such a dauntingly diverse number of folks?

Dwight, I know I probably sound antagonistic, however despite what you might think from our discussions, in me you have a supporter. But, what more can I do but agree and then fall right back into the status quo. I, like so many others on these two Forums, would like to see things as you envision, but we're the choir. Thousands of otherwise interested people don't even know we are having this conversation, and won't. I see them as the status quo. They are the unknown quiet majority that keep things the same. I see them as unreachable.

I hate being such a pessimist when you are so optimistic. Is it ok to ask for a general outline of a proposal to effect a change to the current thinking? Or not! I don't want to hi-jack ithacaartist's Thread. I wrote this before seeing spacecoast's Post #26 above. I like his proposal.

In closing let me say the first conventional identification I would like to see fade away is "Black Widow". I hate that term and won't use it. I saw it light heatedly mentioned that the ones with wood grips be "Brown Recluse". Things like that, though unintended, can catch on.

Jack
The following member says Thank You to Yakman for your post:
Unread 10-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #29
CptCurl
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Gruber View Post
That, my friend, is a subject for a book.

--Dwight

It would be a very interesting and welcome book indeed!

Roscoe
CptCurl is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to CptCurl for your post:
Unread 10-19-2020, 10:17 AM   #30
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

Instead of "saying" that Still failed with his commercial designation, we could all start using the
corrected "convention".

Same goes for the other misleading descriptors- stop using them; and use the more appropriate ones.

We don't need to know what they "all" are to start; "Black Widow" can be debunked if called out by the scores or hundreds of members here; so can use of 1920/23 commercial be replaced with more appropriate descriptors.

We are part of the problem if we are lazy, just give up, and hide behind convention.

JMHO.
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 10-19-2020, 01:01 PM   #31
Yakman
User

Don, I for one agree with you 100%. The "Devil", as they say, is in the details, or just how to get the word out. If everyone on the two Forums began using "correct" terms we'd also have to have a two tiered Lexicon, one for use on the Forums and one for use elsewhere, as most people outside the Forums would have no idea what is being talked about, as is the case now. .

Since there is no list of proper terms, Forum members can't begin using what doesn't exist. What would be the proper term for a 1906 Commercial? I know it's not correct, but what is?

I went to Gunbroker and entered "Alphabet Commercial Luger" and got nothing. I found "Alphabet Commercial" used in quotes in the title of an auction on the Gun Auction web site. They began the description with a lengthy explanation of what "Alphabet Commercial" (their quotes) means, as the term doesn't speak for its self, at least as they see it in their minds and the minds of others.

I'm not stating a position, I have no position. I don't even see this as a genuine problem. But, if some one comes up with a workable practical solution I'll join in. However, until that time, everyone understands "1920 Commercial", not many understand "Alphabet Commercial," and that's after 27 years of exposure. There is nothing disrespectful about that, it's just a fact.

Jack
Unread 10-19-2020, 04:10 PM   #32
Dwight Gruber
User

Quote:
... What would be the proper term for a 1906 Commercial?...
New Model Parabellum. In use for more than than a decade.

--Dwight
Unread 10-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #33
Yakman
User

Thanks, Dwight. I always thought of "1906 Commercial" as a definition for "what is a New Model Parabellum". Less verbiage. But, you are right.

Jack
Unread 10-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #34
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

It would remove a lot of confusion to standardize some terms. A glossary of such could also include variations identified by descriptively accurate names. People have gotten together before, put some thought into it, and created such things (the Constitution comes to mind) in attempts to make sure everybody is on the same page and communication is clear as possible.

These days, we can communicate much more easily than relying on letters, phone calls, and the occasional gun show or visit. Seems like a good time to do something about it.

Consider that text, even with pictures, may not even be the most effective medium in which to lay all this "book" out. I have a notion of one big graphic. It would be based on a timeline and have branches/bars that represent variations in manufacturer, contract, configuration, or whatever you like laid out on the timeline, and relating to each other and keyed as such in a visual manner like color, cross-hatching, etc..

/crazy uncle stuff
Unread 10-19-2020, 10:40 PM   #35
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,347 Times in 2,038 Posts

It might take a little effort when typing, but letters and numbers are cheap online- so
why not "alphabet commercial(formerly identified in error as 1923 commercial";
or "new model parabellum(often referred to as 1906 model).

"Black Widow(a fantasy/marketing name for an all blued Mauser P.08 with black grips)"?

Each time we use the correct terms, we make a little progress. JMHO.

When searching online, I just use "luger"; one never knows how anyone will describe something special; occasionally I toss in "Lugar(sic)".
Unread 10-19-2020, 10:47 PM   #36
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
It might take a little effort when typing, but letters and numbers are cheap online- so
why not "alphabet commercial(formerly identified in error as 1923 commercial";
or "new model parabellum(often referred to as 1906 model).

"Black Widow(a fantasy/marketing name for an all blued Mauser P.08 with black grips)"?

Each time we use the correct terms, we make a little progress. JMHO.
I could go along with that.

Quote:
... occasionally I toss in "Lugar(sic)".
Unread 10-20-2020, 06:16 AM   #37
Dwight Gruber
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Wood View Post
How about 1913 Commercial, with and without grip safety?
Ron,

I went back to some source material and reminded myself of some data. The dating in this commercial range is dependent on the August 1913 order which mandates the stock lug in all P08 production; and the institution of the flat recoil spring well by 1915. From the limited reporting in hand, one cannot say with confidence whether these pistols were made in 1913 or 1914, with a slight bias toward the possibility of 1914.

Under the circumstances, "grip-safety P08 commercial" seems to be the most comprehensive collector designation.

--Dwight

Edit: Strike all of this. I checked commercial navy sn 71406 (six pistols after the last grip safety entry, 437 pistols before the first flat recoil spring well entry); it has a spur in the recoil spring well. This confidently places the grip safety pistol production in 1914.

I still stand by "grip safety P08 commercial", because the grip safety pistols include both stock lug and no-stock-lug examples.

Last edited by Dwight Gruber; 10-20-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Unread 10-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #38
Dwight Gruber
User

Btw everybody the stock lug was mandated in P08 production in August 1913. A strike against the "1914 Commercial" designation.

--Dwight
The following member says Thank You to Dwight Gruber for your post:
Unread 10-20-2020, 11:58 AM   #39
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Gruber View Post
Btw everybody the stock lug was mandated in P08 production in August 1913. A strike against the "1914 Commercial" designation.

--Dwight
Striking works for me...I'm going to stick with 1913 Commercial
Ron