LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 12-14-2002, 02:15 PM   #1
alamo
User

Post Need Help with I.D.

Greetings,

I was trying to find out some information about a Luger my grandfather brought back from WWII. I posted this on the PO8 Military section and didn't get any response. I am pretty certain that this is just a garden variety Luger with no particular value but was curious about it as far as when it was made and any particulars about it.
Thanks.
------------------------------------------------
3" barrel. Most bluing intact, some wear around the edges of a few parts.

It has DWM on top of the toggle and 55 below it. There is no marking on top just behind the barrel like in most of the logo examples.

There is a "47" on part 003 (forward link of the toggle joint?) on top of the toggle.

It says "GESICHERT" by the safety.

No markings on right side of pistol.

The proof marks on the left hand side of the Luger are found on "Proof 2" on the proof mark links.
Left to right, they are:

1) Eagle with upraised wings.
2) The first symbol on #18.
3) The 2nd symbol on #13.

On the left side of what I think is part 010, there appears to be the eagle with upraised wings.

On the metal part of the grip, it says "A.M. XIII.
5. 22."

There is a cursive "W" on the lower outer part of the trigger guard.

On the bottom of the barrel, there is "847" with a cursive "a" below it. Same "847 a" below the barrel, forward of the trigger guard (You see them when you point it directly at your face - verified it was unloaded of course!)

82 below the rear site.

Forward of the rear site there are some proof marks. First one is difficult to make out. The 2nd one is on "Proof 2" #19 - the first symbol with the "RC".
The first symbol is about twice the size of the 2nd symbol, appears to be a "crown" (the top symbol on many of the proof marks on Proof 2) as I would call it, with something below it but I can't tell what it is.

One one side of the magazine (only one mag), it looks like "fxo" with some sort of symbol below it & then "37". Also says "PO8" on the magazine.

It has a fairly worn shoulder holster with a slot for a spare magazine.

There is a "Mailing Certificate" form that says:

1. I certify that the following described articles: ("1 -ea German Luger # A.M. XIII. 5.22" written in) are bona fide gifts of a value not in excess of $50 from (space to fill - it is blank), a member of the armed forces of the United States, to (space to fill in for Consignee or Addressee, it is blank too). Sender's signature, rank, ASN, Org, APO (Signed by apparently my grandfather's CO)

2. I certify that I have personally examined the items of enemy equipment herein and that they conform to the restrictions and provisions of Sec VI, Cir 155, WD, 28 May 1945, as amended. Space for "CO's signature, Rank, branch, organization" - same person signed.

There is a round stamp next to #2 - says "Headquarters United States Forces European Theater" around the circular stamp and "Official" in the center of the stamp.

3. "I certify that this parcel contains no property of the United States Government" - followed by same signature. Various form numbers/letters at the bottom.

One box of German ammo with 12 rounds, 38 missing - says "50 Patro.."(rest covered by brown tape)

2nd line - "zur Selbstlade.." (rest covered by tape)

3rd line - ",, Parabe..."(covered by tape)

And finally by the serial number on the grip, there is my father's social security number etched on with one of those electric etching pens. Remember 20+ years ago, when the police encouraged folks to put indentifying numbers or s.s. #s on TVs & other valuables? My father took their advice to heart. He also put it on his Ithaca 1911 that he brought back from WWII.

I don't think I missed anything but I may have!

Thanks
alamo is offline   Reply With Quote