LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 04-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,324 Posts
Default Help importing parts to the US?

I'm back with more "Erma business"

I've found a source for the Erma parts that I need! (That's the good news.)
The supplier, however, is in Germany, and responded rather succinctly to my inquiry that they do not export to the US. (That's the bad news.)
Since a trip to Germany is not soon in the offing, I was wondering if there is a way to work around this situation while complying with all pertinent legal aspects. Is a private individual in Germany allowed to send gun parts to another person in the USA? My idea is to arrange for the purchase of these parts by eine Deutsche Bruder on the forum and have them sent privately to me. Finances would, of course, be pre-paid. Would this plan work without running afoul of authorities on either end? If it can be done, then I guess I'm seeking a volunteer/new friend in Germany to lend a hand.

Thanks,

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
Shadowsix
User

Hi David,

When it comes to ERMA parts which models do you need parts for? The reason I'm asking is because I have been looking at an ERMA LA 22 I can get rather cheaply (from what I've read they were made with a light alloy so not long lasting) and it will most probably need some replacement parts (looks somewhat beat up).

I have looked at Bob's Gun shop (http://www.gun-parts.com/erma/) and have even tried emailing them two days ago to find out if they have at least a factory mag in stock (first thing I would try to get a new one of) but haven't heard anything back from them so I'm beginning to wonder if they are really still around and if not where to go to get some parts if I pick this plinker up?

I have a nice collector real Luger (that I will never shoot) and will still get a good shooter when I can find one but I thought I'd play around with this ERMA in the mean time.
Shadowsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ross,

Better search for the recent postings I've made about Ermas before you jump onto this one...

Ermas seem to be a crap shoot as to whether or not you wind up with one that is not an effective single-shot, or jam-o-matic. I bought mine basically for the challenge, having heard so much about their lack of reliability, ammo fussiness, mag sensitivity, propensity for breaking toggle parts, etc. If you love to tinker, these would be the cranky little guns for you to play with. As I've suggested before, you'll likely get lots of practice clearing the action from feeding, firing, extracting,and ejecting woes! Well...with the possibility of taming the beast, or almost, by the end of your trials. Then they are pretty sweet, and accurate, too. I've been tweeking mag lips and experimenting with ammo for the past couple of months--just ordered another assortment of ammo from Midway today to see if I can dial it in any closer than the ~80-90% I'm able to get now with the right mag, ammo and lots of lube.

OK, parts... Sarco has some for the conversion kits. Bob's Gun Parts, as you've discovered, is another possibility. But their selection is spotty, at best, even though each co. apparently scarfed up remaining parts from the Erma factory's demise. eBay, Gunbroker, Gunsamerica, etc. all have a little something from time to time, so my advice is to keep looking. I've had some luck discovering obscure auctions and classifieds if I keep going several pages in on a search, beyond where the results seem relelvant; you just never know. Keep Googling away, and eventually something will surface for you. Most Erma parts in these odd listings seem to be coming from guns that are being broken up and parted out. This works out for the seller, but not very economical for the buyer, unless you gotta have it, and it ain't too much to spend. Sometimes you'll see somewhat complete sub-assemblies up for grabs, like an entire top end or toggle train, or breedh block w/firing pin or ejector, etc., and these can be a better deal.

When you get it in hand, clean the little dickens thoroughly, lubricate it liberally, and try it out to see what you have. Start with Standard velocity rounds, or maybe slightly in the sub-sonic range. At this point, I'd recommend NOT exceeding fps rating of 1200, otherwise you risk hammering the pistol to death from the inside out. Use lots of lube on the mag and ammo--shake it and wipe off any gross excess before insertion.

If you get feeding problems, it's possible either mag or ammo is the offending area; perhaps a combo of the two. Ejection problems would center more on ammo, and possibly the extractor/its spring. Best mag bet is a factory original, regardless of capacity, as their feed lips were the original design. Bob's and others sell the repros, like the Triple K mags-- recognizable in a listing's pics by the green plastic follower and shiny aluminum bottom which is machined, not cast--, um, not quite as good. I've encountered another maker of them but the mag is unmarked. The knock offs just don't have the same geometry as the originals. The better the condition of the mag, the better, too. But we can cross these various bridges when/if they are encountered.

Oh, and by the description of it, better not pay more than ~$125 for one that raggedy, as it may, indeed, require an unobtainable part. In that case, the best for everyone is to part it out; you'll get out from under it OK, and others will have access to the parts they might need.

DP
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,951 Times in 1,199 Posts

David,

Some German gun dealers have become a bit careful with exports lately. If you want, I can put you in touch with a gentleman who takes care of my exports from Germany. If the gun parts are 'essential' parts (receiver, barrel, frame), an export permit is needed, small parts can usually be exported without additional paper work.

My contact is a German resident and speaks English.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Wow, Gerben, sehr gut! This makes my day! (...well, there's always a chance of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!) I would definitely value your friend as a contact for this.

Fortunately, I'm after small parts, which is why I was taken aback by the seller's policy. Stuff such as front sight, takedown bolt, and magazines--or their guts--is what I'm after. These items are sold out on this side of the pond and I was thrilled to find them available anywhere. I'll probably spend a little too much in this way, but I'm anticipating a lot of satisfaction to make up for it.

Please PM me, or email with his info. and we'll get things rolling.

Thanks so much again,

David
Unread 04-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

For most gun parts you will need to file an ATF form 6 to import them. It is a pain but it is not a difficult process. Go to the ATF website and search for the form. There will be instructions on when and how to complete and submit it.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
Shadowsix
User

David,

Thank you very much for your advice, I will definitely heed it when I acquire it (in a few weeks when they are back). When it comes to this I am definitely up for a challenge. They want $200 (plus $25 for the DOJ transfer) but if I can I'll try to get them down further otherwise I don't mind spending $200 for an experiment.

Also I may have made it sound worse than it is, the outside is actually in good shape. The bore, breech-block (firing pin & extractor intact), & toggle are not bad either. The ramp has a small lite scratch (that I think I can easily buff out) but otherwise looks good. The chamber has a few nicks around the outside but not bad. The magazine body is what looks rough (but that could be superficial). I'll try to replace it but first see if it works anyway.

If it turns out to be an impossible task then I will part it out so others can have access to it parts.

Thanks again,
Ross
Unread 04-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Ross,

The 2 La's I acquired averaged just that amount. I was envisioning a real dog of a piece.

The chamber's rearmost rim is quite sharp on these, and I think it helps to break and smooth it a little, particularly at the top, by the extractor cut, where it's like a gouge. The noses of slightly errant rounds sometimes catch on this, and if the round doesn't wedge itself in the action once the tip is caught, it will shave off little crescents of lead as the round goes by into the chamber. I'd noticed quite a pile of these on the floor of the action after coaxing a handful of mags through it.

This evening I've corresponded with the seller of a La22 mag I bought. He used to work for the importer and has more parts available for me in a week or two, including--now, get this--a factory magazine alignment mandrel! I'd begun to fabricate one myself, but this will save a lot of effort, and perhaps yield better results. So, don't scrap that mag if it's a bummer; it looks like I'd be able to deal with it after I score this tool.

DP
Unread 04-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Shadowsix
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
Ross,
--now, get this--a factory magazine alignment mandrel! I'd begun to fabricate one myself, but this will save a lot of effort, and perhaps yield better results. So, don't scrap that mag if it's a bummer; it looks like I'd be able to deal with it after I score this tool.

DP
David,

Thank you for your advice on the chamber, I will definitely try that also once I acquire it (& test it)! Very cool about the mandrel and if needed I'd definitely send the mag out to you.

Ross