LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Lugerforum Archive

Unread 04-11-2002, 03:47 PM   #1
TheRomanhistorian
User

Default New Luger

Hello all,

Just bought a shooter Luger today, well picked up rather than bought. I got it from a pawnshop in my hometown, the price was a little hefty but worthwhile for an 'impulse' buy I suppose. It's a mismatched gun with a reciever date of 1921 and a DWM toggle assembly. The serial number looks to be a 6803. It has been reblued I was told. However it is a nice looking gun with wood checkered grips and a wood bottomed magazine which I cannot make out the serial number on. The grip of the gun has some inscription, 16./J.R.21. With a superscript of 36 next to it, can anyone tell me what this means?

Michael Ng

Unread 04-11-2002, 04:22 PM   #2
Herb
User

Default Re: New Luger

I'll take a shot at it--16th Detachment, Infantry Regiment21, Company 36. I wouldn't bet any money on it though.

Unread 04-11-2002, 06:17 PM   #3
BCC

I think Herb is very close to correct on this, but I believe that it would represent the 16th company of the 21st Infantry Regiment and be pistol number 36. These Weimar marking styles are different from the Imperial style. I would think that 36 would be a high number of pistols for an Infantry company, I do not have a reference of authorizations of that period and the number may run sequencial for the Battlion (company 16 would have been in the III Battlion (I believe).

Unread 04-12-2002, 11:11 AM   #4
TIMOTHY CANNEY

Again, an example of a gun with some varifiable history!

Very nice!

Till Next Time,

Tim