LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing

Unread 01-12-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
Zorba
User

Default Extractor?

Are there any gotchas or other caveats involved with and R & R of a Luger (Mauser) extractor?
Zorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2015, 05:33 PM   #2
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Make sure to clean up the little area under the extractor. Gunk (powder residue / oil / grease) tends to accumulate in that area.

There is also a small spring in there, so be careful not to lose it.

I tend to use a big plastic bag around everything when I am disassembling things that might spring out.

Re-installation may feel a bit odd. Just take your time, and observe how things came out during disassembly. Use a punch pin that is slightly smaller than the retention pin during removal. Let the punch retain the assembly while you set aside the retention pin, then slowly remove the punch while you observe things. It should not take alot of force to remove the retention pin or re-install it if everything is lined up.

Inspect the face and back of the extractor while you have it out of the breech block.

If you are replacing the extractor with a new one, you might end up having to fit it.

Marc
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 01-12-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Zorba
User

Thank you mrerick - the extractor has now been extracted, cleaned, relubed, and reinstalled without incident. There was a fair amount of black crud in the channel, proving Goddess only knows when/if the last time it was cleaned. But after removing and cleaning the extractor/channel on my Nambu proved to be the cure of its fairly extreme stovepiping - I figured it would be best to PM the extractor on the Luger *before* it caused problems.

Now a quick question. The extractor is, of course, a blued part. The side where the "Geladen" text appears is in the white - like it was given a quick sanding/filing/buffing/whatever on that one side only to provide contrast for the text which remains blued.

Normal/usual? Or is it an artifact of fitment? Or both? It *is* the original extractor numbered to the gun.
Unread 01-13-2015, 06:54 AM   #4
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

The sides of the extractor are supposed to be in the white, so that "Geladen" can be read. I suspect the part is first blued then the sides buffed out to white., usually leaving the word darker than the surface.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 01-13-2015, 10:02 AM   #5
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Zorba, good job. Over time, the dirt can cause a number of issues. You don't have to clean things there often, but it should be done occasionally.
The following member says Thank You to mrerick for your post:
Unread 01-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Sounds as though you were successful on your extractor R&R. That extractor spring is a strong little fella if correct. It should take quite a bit of pressure to elevate the extractor tip when in the breachblock. When the spring becomes "tired", and they do, you will begin to have extraction problems......leaving the spent brass in the chamber.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to rhuff for your post:
Unread 01-14-2015, 11:46 AM   #7
Zorba
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Zorba, good job. Over time, the dirt can cause a number of issues. You don't have to clean things there often, but it should be done occasionally.
Yea, after my experience with the Nambu, I figured it was probably a good idea. I figured it was better to ask stupid questions and find out its "no big deal" to disassemble, rather than ASS-U-ME and have it explode with springs and little parts flying every which way!
Unread 01-15-2015, 01:52 AM   #8
Geo99
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
The sides of the extractor are supposed to be in the white, so that "Geladen" can be read. I suspect the part is first blued then the sides buffed out to white., usually leaving the word darker than the surface.
I never heard this. I always thought the sides were white from wear. Do you have evidence that they were originally put together that way? (not disagreeing with you, just curious)

- Geo
Unread 01-15-2015, 02:04 AM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,097 Times in 1,676 Posts

It isn't from wear. If you look at hundreds of Lugers you will see that the sides of the extractors are in the white...far too many to be a result of wear.