LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 06-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
chazbotic
User

Default p.08 value?

i've recently come into possession of a p.08, and have transcribed some notes here concerning it. i will attach photos as soon as i am able. as the pistol is an inheritance, i would like to insure it against loss, but require a value. i don't want to shortchange my family, or over estimate it, either. any help is greatly appreciated.

i've disassembled the pistol once using careful methods and a few guides. the below are findings from my notes.

serial number 7992ns, marked 1937, S/42. 95% finish. my grandfather's "certificate of personal souvenir" (it only says "CERTIFICATE" in underline), dated 1944, and two magazines (one with a matte aluminum(?) base with stamps in 95% condition, and other a wooden base and very little blue left).

all small parts are matching with the last 2 digits of the serial number. original finish 95%, matching magazine (cross, stick eagle over 63, matching serial number to the gun), finish on most small parts is peacock blue, (none are straw yellow). all edges are sharp, all stamps and marks are crisp with halos. grips are wood with sharp checkering.

the wooden magazine has a faint 3410 + marked on it.

the bore is bright and shiny, zero pitting, no rust i could find on anything, some yellowed oil in places. fully functional without any binding or other problems.

thank you so much for any help. i will post photos as soon as i am able.
chazbotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts

Sorry, need lots of clear pictures. I could tell you $1500 to $2000 and it turns out to be mismatched or reblued.

An original mag would be aluminum based.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
chazbotic
User

as i stated, i would be attaching photos when i can. i'm surprised an estimation cannot be made from a description, with the assumption that it is an accurate description.

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
chazbotic
User

the other magazine:

Unread 06-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
chazbotic
User

the pistol

Unread 06-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,594 Times in 931 Posts

Hi Charles, Welcome to the forum! Ed is quite right, relying on a verbal description from someone you don't know can be a frustrating waste of time. Your gun appears to be all original and in decent, but not fine, condition. I would figure the gun at $1,500.00 and add 25% for that matching magazine. The late WW1 DWM magazine (the wood based one) is probably worth another 100 bucks, say $2,000.00 for the package. You might value it at $2,500.00 for insurance purposes.
Regards, Norm
Norme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
wlyon
Lifer 2X
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,531 Times in 943 Posts

Sounds about right to me Norme. Bill
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #8
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Hi,

I'm pretty confident that your serial number is "7992w" rather than No Suffix. A no suffix pistol has nothing stamped under the numeric digits on the frame.

Your "w" matches the form of one on Joachim's list:

http://lugerforum.com/lugermarkings/...rtz_script.jpg

When you insure this, do it for the retail value of purchasing a replacement from a dealer. Use dealers like FGS Firearms, CheckpointCharlies.com and Simpsons Ltd. for estimates.

1937 was a year of transition. Your all salt blued Luger would have been made toward the end of that year. At the time, Mauser was just getting started with the salt bluing process and their finishes were not consistent. I have a 1939 that is almost glass thin. The finish on yours looks translucent like mine...

The plum color of the extractor is also typical.

Congratulations on your family heirloom. Care for it well. Don't store it in a holster. Keep it oiled and wiped down periodically.
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
chazbotic
User

i see, i wasn't sure if the script was part of the serial number or not. i'm curious how pricing for P.08's work - just the "going rate?" is this one rare enough that i should be particular about handling or storage? the plan was to display it in a shadow box along with a few other family heirlooms, although if it is too valuable then i will store it in a safe instead.

i've seen wildly different pricing for P.08 pistols in my area. how rare or common is an "S/42"?
Unread 06-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
chazbotic
User

thank you very much for the information. i will relay this to my insurer to attach a new rider for this pistol. is a matching magazine rare? 25% increased value seems quite high just for a magazine.
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #11
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

25% increase in value seems a bit high to me too for the matched mag, but it definitely helps. In general the S/42 is not uncommon and you are correct that Luger pricing swings pretty wildly. That is why education is a great precursor to spending.
I'm seeing a slightly above average gun, not at all uncommon, but with a matching mag. My estimate would have come in a bit lower, but these guys know their stuff. And you are insuring it in the case of disaster NOT pricing it for fast sale.
Whether it is too valuable for display is a personal thing, you have to measure the risk and rewards vs. the possible consequences. Chump change to one guy may be a fortune to another.
Anyway, a nice bit of family history!
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #12
chazbotic
User

excellent. now i just have to find a mauser forum or something for the c96 as well. thank you everyone, very helpful, and much appreciated!
Unread 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
mrerick
Super Moderator - Patron
LugerForum
Life Patron

Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,503 Posts

Luger collectors value pistols that are in their original finish, with all matching original parts; as close as possible to the way they left the factory.

While not particularly rare, your S/42 coded Luger is collectable. It is uncommon to find them with their original numbered magazine, which is why it's that much more valuable.

1937 is, as I mentioned, a transition year. For that reason, there are several sub-variations of proof and acceptance markings and type of finish. This could make a specific sub-variation more valuable to a collector that wanted that one.

If you post your C-96 here, there are some experts on this firearm that frequent this forum.

Marc
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
chazbotic
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrerick View Post
Luger collectors value pistols that are in their original finish, with all matching original parts; as close as possible to the way they left the factory.

While not particularly rare, your S/42 coded Luger is collectable. It is uncommon to find them with their original numbered magazine, which is why it's that much more valuable.

1937 is, as I mentioned, a transition year. For that reason, there are several sub-variations of proof and acceptance markings and type of finish. This could make a specific sub-variation more valuable to a collector that wanted that one.

If you post your C-96 here, there are some experts on this firearm that frequent this forum.

Marc
is it alright to post here the c96? i didn't see an appropriate subforum, so i figured discussion was limited to the topic titles. i will need to photograph it before posting as well.
Unread 06-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
andwaahs
User

post it in "off topic and other firearms thread".
andwaahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:00 AM   #16
chazbotic
User

alright i've done so here: http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?p=235203
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,325 Posts

The first mag in the pics appears as though it has had its serial number over-stamped, I presume to create a match. I'm curious what others might say about this and how the value might be affected.
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #18
chazbotic
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithacaartist View Post
The first mag in the pics appears as though it has had its serial number over-stamped, I presume to create a match. I'm curious what others might say about this and how the value might be affected.
There is indeed a small indent centered at the first "9", but the second 9 has no such indent, just some sort of pitting or a gouge there at the lower edge, where it is quite unclean. i have taken some extra photos with a much better camera to be sure. i've used a white light at a few different angles, and bounced light from a sheet of white plastic stock.

i apologize profusely for the excessive size if that is annoying. i think the forum resizes the pictures though.
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #19
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

These are simply dings picked over The years and not a sign of a number overstamp.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #20
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,507 Times in 2,081 Posts
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbotic View Post
as i stated, i would be attaching photos when i can. i'm surprised an estimation cannot be made from a description, with the assumption that it is an accurate description.

Trust me, most peoples descriptions are NOT accurate and asking for pictures is common. Too many times I have helped and they show a picture much later and its nickled, reblued or not even a luger.
Edward Tinker is online now   Reply With Quote