LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > All P-08 Military Lugers

Unread 01-22-2017, 07:13 AM   #1
walkcubsgb
User

Default Unmodified 1913 Dated Luger

I found out that the 1913 dated Military Luger I purchased was NOT defective. After purchasing a Luger with matching serial numbers on ALL assemblies including the magazine, I originally was disappointed when the toggle would NOT stay open after the last round left the chamber. I used snap caps to test the mechanical operation of this Luger.

After researching the internet I found out in the Standard Luger Catalog:

"Hold-Open Device

The hold-open device is a magazine spring-activated stop that holds the toggle back and the breech open when an empty magazine is in the pistol.
This device was standard on Lugers from the start. In 1908 military models this feature was removed for a short period of time, probably to speed along initial military production.
In May 1913 the German War Ministry ordered that the hold-open device would be instituted on all DWM and Erfurt military production. A program to retrofit existing P.08s with the hold-open device was also instituted at Erfurt.
Due to the war, not all imperial military Lugers made it back to Erfurt for the retrofit. Those that did will obviously have the hold-open device, but should also have a small proof mark added beneath the pin of the hold open lever.

Davis, Aarron (2006-09-20). Standard Catalog of Luger (p. 9). F+W Media, Inc.. Kindle Edition. "

I copied the above information from that catalog.

I put this information out in case someone is keeping a data base on these Lugers.

See the attached photo. The handle assembly on the left is from 1913. The right is from my 1940 dated Luger. Near the middle of the assembly you will notice that this Luger was not even machined to include the hold open mechanism.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	63640  

walkcubsgb is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to walkcubsgb for your post:
Unread 01-22-2017, 07:45 AM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum