LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 05-24-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Police items on Emedals

A bit too much for the urban shako...IMO. I grabed the pouch.

http://www.emedals.com/content/newly-listed
NoncomRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I just purchased the Policemen's pouch and will someone give me some insight on the lower right markings? (Po 1938) does it mean that's the date it was accepted into the police inventory?

http://www.emedals.com/collectors-ga...g9092?vmcchk=1
Unread 05-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Schupo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoncomRetired View Post
I just purchased the Policemen's pouch and will someone give me some insight on the lower right markings? (Po 1938) does it mean that's the date it was accepted into the police inventory?

http://www.emedals.com/collectors-ga...g9092?vmcchk=1
Yes, accepted into police inventory in 1938 and marked as police property (Po). Adalbert Fischer had a contract with the police to make leather goods of all types such as holsters, belts, frogs, etc. Sometimes you will find the date he made the item and perhaps a slightly later date that it was delivered and inspected and accepted into police service but generally the dates are the same.

The "Po" property markings indicate the item was inspected and acceptable for police use. However, police inspection markings that indicate a specific inspector consisted of the eagle with a letter that indicated the specific inspector or his team. Critical items such as pistols and their holsters would have this Eagle/C (or other letter) marking showing the specific inspection team responsible for approving the item. Non-critical items such as this cartrouch case, or a uniform, only have the "Po" property markings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mauser 34 Pol holster markings.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	34156  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mauser 34 Pol markings.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	34157  

Unread 05-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
NoncomRetired
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanks George for your knowledge.

I've another question. I've seen shakos described as a Berlin police shako, all black as the Weimer Republic. Now recently I've see two different all black police shakos described as "auxiliary" police shako. Is there a difference?
Unread 05-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
Schupo
User

You have to be careful with these black Tschakos. These were worn during the time of the Weimar Republic and these typically have nickeled fittings and other give-aways as to time of use. These were replaced in 1936 by the ones with green cloth covers on the body. The old style all black ones were relegated to use by Hilfspolizei (Auxiliary Police) and were a mix of old Tschakos with the new 1936 police eagle and some newly made ones with this eagle. The new ones had early 1940s dates and aluminum fittings like the green ones.

The problem is that the all black Tschakos were re-instated after the war and used into the 1960s. New ones have had WWII eagles put on them and/or have been sold as wartime examples. The postwar ones will have a variety of state stars on the front, just like the Weimar Republic ones. Look at the construction to determine time of manufacture/use. There are give-aways to determine time frame such as the use of plastic in the interior construction that is postwar. BTW, they are also faking DDR Tschakos in Pakistan.