LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-08-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
swedeluger
User

Default I found this Luger on the attic

Hi all members on Lugerforum,

I am a Swede who bought a summerplace at the Swedish and Norway border in Scandinavia some weeks ago. When my wife was cleaning out the attic she found a wooden box with a brown-black holster. In the holster there was a complete Luger. I do not now so much about pistols, but you recognize a Luger who you see in all the warmovies. What I would like to ask the forum members is to help me identify what type of Luger I have really found on the attic. I would really like to know so much I can about the Lugers history.
The Luger is in very good condition if you think about it being on a attic for maybe some 50 years.
I send some pictures on the pistole.
There are two magazine. One in the holster that have a buttknob i wood. The other without wood. There is a number 2415 on the barrel and on the body. The number 2415 is also on the knob to the magazine. On the handle there is a big brass plate (see photo) that have the Letters and numbers LAS6 / 1. I have been studying your section "Markings", and found the "DWM" insignia on the topp of the Luger.
On the barrel there is a marking that are very smal and look like the proof you can see on the "Proof 1" number 4. It is a crone with a "N".
On the barrel and the body of the pistole I have found "Luger Suffixes" looking like a L that could be "1918 LP-08".
My question now is if somebody could help me and tell me what type of Luger I have found?
Regards / Erik
swedeluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #2
the gunman
User

"Sure look foward to these pictures"
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #3
swedeluger
User

Default Re: I found this Luger on the attic

Quote:
Originally posted by swedeluger
Hi all members on Lugerforum,

I am a Swede who bought a summerplace at the Swedish and Norway border in Scandinavia some weeks ago. When my wife was cleaning out the attic she found a wooden box with a brown-black holster. In the holster there was a complete Luger. I do not now so much about pistols, but you recognize a Luger who you see in all the warmovies. What I would like to ask the forum members is to help me identify what type of Luger I have really found on the attic. I would really like to know so much I can about the Lugers history.
The Luger is in very good condition if you think about it being on a attic for maybe some 50 years.
I send some pictures on the pistole.
There are two magazine. One in the holster that have a buttknob i wood. The other without wood. There is a number 2415 on the barrel and on the body. The number 2415 is also on the knob to the magazine. On the handle there is a big brass plate (see photo) that have the Letters and numbers LAS6 / 1. I have been studying your section "Markings", and found the "DWM" insignia on the topp of the Luger.
On the barrel there is a marking that are very smal and look like the proof you can see on the "Proof 1" number 4. It is a crone with a "N".
On the barrel and the body of the pistole I have found "Luger Suffixes" looking like a L that could be "1918 LP-08".
My question now is if somebody could help me and tell me what type of Luger I have found?
Regards / Erik
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...mplett_200.jpg http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...ingplatta1.jpg http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload..._200_copy1.jpg http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload..._200_copy1.jpg
ADMIN: I made the pictures not show, since they were so large.
Unread 06-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #4
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,096 Times in 1,676 Posts

Erik,
You are so lucky! You need to buy your wife some flowers and a nice dinner. Pictures will help very much to identify your Luger. There is some information that would help until your pictures are posted.
1. How long is the barrel. This can be measured by putting a rod (a pencil will do fine) down the barrel until it stops and measuring the length. (Make sure the gun is unloaded!)
2. Is there a date on top of the Luger?
3. Do you know the caliber - 9mm or 7.65mm?

LIke "the gunman", I look forward to the pictures, particularly the "big brass plate"!
Best regards
Ron
Unread 06-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

Erik,
You were posting your pictures while I was writing my last response. You have found a very nice Finnish contract Luger in very nice condition. It is rare to find one with the brass plate still attached as most were removed. This is a very desirable example and you are to be congratulated. As I said, you are so lucky!
Unread 06-08-2006, 03:51 PM   #6
swedeluger
User

The pictures are there now. I hope you can see them! I would like to say that one of the magazine have aq wooden knob and this is the magazine that have the number "2415". Same as the pistol. The other magazine that have a knob of metal have the number "6875" and also a suffix like a "L" but also with cross. (see picture)
I also send two photos from securing button and small sign and "2415" on the barrel. When I was measuring the barrel through putting a pencil in it, i got 9.5 centimeter. I do not know what calibre the pistol have.
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...gazine_200.jpg
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...secure_200.jpg
http://forum.lugerforum.com/lfupload...fix_barrel.jpg
Unread 06-08-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
swedeluger
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Wood
Erik,
You were posting your pictures while I was writing my last response. You have found a very nice Finnish contract Luger in very nice condition. It is rare to find one with the brass plate still attached as most were removed. This is a very desirable example and you are to be congratulated. As I said, you are so lucky!
Okey...big thanks for your help. I am very lucky indeed. My wife first instinct was to through it in to a nearby lake because she hate firearms. But lucky me she did not do that ;-) Well, I was not surprise to here that it is a finnish weapon because Sweden had troops in Finland in the famous finnish winter wars. Two more questions, What does the brass plate stand for, what does it means. Second, how much is this piece maybe worth?
Regards
Erik
Unread 06-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
Steinar
User

Congratulations with finding such a nice Luger!
..if you by any chance decide to sell it, I'm a neighbour from Norway and might be interested! There is usually no problem to have it registered.
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #9
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Erik,
The markings on the brass disk indicate the unit to which the Luger was issued. I am not positive, but perhaps the LAS.6/1 on your Luger means "Laivastoasema" (I hope I spelled it correctly!) which I think means navy base. So I believe your Luger was assigned to Navy Base 6 and is weapon number 1.
I hesitate to guess the value of Lugers because it can vary widely depending on condition, country and other factors. I can safely say that your Luger and holster are worth quite a bit more than $1000 US but I do not have a better number. Perhaps one of the other forum members can give you a more accurate evaluation.
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:10 PM   #10
the gunman
User

congratulations on this wonderful find. Like Ron said very rare to find with the brass plate intact. Sure wish I could buy it here. Were there any items relating to this gun in the attic.?
uniforms ,caps, papers etc. Very interesting story.
the gunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
swedeluger
User

Hi,
Thanks for the congratulation. I am very surprise myself of the discovery that I made last week. Fantastic I think. You asked if it was something else in the box. It was sometype of medal. A black cross with silver around. A pin on the back. It was inserted into the holster. No pappers or anything with the pistol. Only some old bullets in the box and magazine. These we have taken away for saftey.
As I told you I am not so much into war relic but I reconize a Luger....
Regards Erik
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #12
swedeluger
User

I would like to ask another question to you Luger Pro on this forum about the stampings. On the total metal magazine there was another number and other stamps. Is there anybody could tell me what these means and could give in information.
Regards Erik
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:43 PM   #13
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

erik, welcome to the forum! Once you become an actual member (you will be approved by tomorrow), I will move this thread to the New Collector forum.

Also, can you see about using smaller photo's that don't make my eyes bleed? ')
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
swedeluger
User

Sure...I Will do. The last photo was okey I think? Sorry for the big pictures but it is hard to know how big they will be when you are new to the forum.
Regards
Erik
Unread 06-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #15
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,502 Times in 2,077 Posts

and wonderful find by the way!!!!
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #16
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,889 Times in 1,187 Posts

Hi,

A very nice discovery. I shouldn't worry too much about the quality and danger of the ammunition. It can usually be stored for quite a long time without it becoming dangerous.

Your pistol may either be in 7.65 parabellum or 9mm parabellum. The bullets could answer the question. If the case has a small neck, it's 7.65. If it's a straight case, it's 9mm. The ammo itself may have some value, depending on the maker.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2006, 11:30 PM   #17
Fritzer
User

Erik,

What a treasure you have found in your attic.

To the best of my ability, the answers to your second magazine questions:

The numbers represent the serial number of another pistol serial 6875 i which that magazine was originally issued with.

In fact it was the spare magizine which is indicated by the plus sign "+" stamped below it. That letter "i" is part of the serial number.

The last symbol is called a 'stick eagle 63' and represents the military inspection and acceptance of the magazine assembly for use.

Have you looked in the small pouch inside the top cover of the holster?
There may be a loading tool hidden inside - to add to your collection !

Regards,
Fritz.
Fritzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #18
swedeluger
User

Sorry, but the little pouch was empty. I was wondering what should be in this little pouch.....thanks for the help.
Unread 06-11-2006, 04:13 AM   #19
Steinar
User

If you want to find an original and matching loading tool, a good place to look is on ebay or make a post on "wanted to buy" on the forum
Unread 06-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #20
some_finn
User

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Wood

but perhaps the LAS.6/1 on your Luger means "Laivastoasema" (I hope I spelled it correctly!) which I think means navy base.
I believe it is Lentoasema, airport.
I found a listing on the old unit abbreviations on the net.
Airport 6 was Viipuri (Viborg). It was a largish town/city (by 1940's Finnish standards) on the Karelian Isthmus and became a part of the Soviet Union after the war.

Viipuri in Wikipedia, in English
some_finn is offline   Reply With Quote