LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Navy Lugers

Unread 02-07-2003, 05:23 PM   #1
Aaron
Banned

Post My dealer is selling this navy Luger

OK gents, I am not into navy Lugers, as they are too rich for my blood, therefore I have only a cursory knowledge of them. However, I was just at my local gun shop and was surprised to notice he has one for sale. The condition on the outside is really nice, as I would estimate 97%, the grips are in very good to excellent condition, but the mag, while wood bottomed, is cracked, non-matching, and definitely not navy. Unfortunately, the bore is only fair. Serial number 3431b. My uninformed guess is that it is a 1920 commercial, but I'd like to hear what you experts have to say. Asking price is $2985. Please excuse the photos, as they were taken on the dealer's counter, and my only lighting was flash. If anyone is interested I will supply the dealer's contact info.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2003, 05:25 PM   #2
Aaron
Banned

Photo#2

Unread 02-07-2003, 05:28 PM   #3
Aaron
Banned

Photo #3

Unread 02-09-2003, 12:38 AM   #4
Big Norm
RIP

Arron,
because it has a long frame it looks like a 1908. The 1908 navy did not have a chamber date on it. While your pictures are good under the conditions, they are not good enough to comment much further. I could not detect the proof marks and other markings on the frame or the serial numbers. I would also need a closer examination of the rear sight. Also check out the witness lines under the barrel to see if they align properly.

Judging from the wear on the grips and your comment on the condition of the bore, I would be suspect about the bluing. Just too much usage of the gun to justify an excellent rating on the finish. If its been restored then the price is too high.

If there are no military or naval proof marks of the gun then there might be another problem. I am not certain and could be wrong, but I think that a commercial 1908 navy would have serial numbers in the 51000 range for the long framed commercials. I also think that there would be a crown 'N' mark on the left side of the receiver. Maybe a 'GERMANY' on it. Other people will have to help me out on this one.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
Aaron
Banned

No proofs anywhere on the right side, rear sight hs number "100" stamped. Will return to the dealer and get every mark I can.
Unread 02-09-2003, 06:15 PM   #6

Guys,

I also have a mismatched Luger with no proofs anywhere and no date. Mine also has a DWM toggle, but has the 4" barrel. I would like to know what mine is.