LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 10-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #1
Ozzilla
User

Default Looking at the following Luger

Hello,
I am a Luger newbie.

I am interested in bidding on the following Luger that will be offered at a local auction soon.

The auctioneers posted the following description:
Mauser Model P08 Luger. Serial # 7502N. 9mm caliber semi auto pistol. 4” barrel with a very good bore that has some roughness. Should clean up pretty good. Gun is marked S/42 and dated 1936. All numbers match. 90% plus bluing with some areas of rust on the left side. Probably from laying in a holster. Very little straw colors remain. Clip does not match and has been nickel plated long ago. Wooden grips in very good to excellent condition. An honest Luger with honest wear.

Only pictures posted:

I would greatly appreciate any tips on what to look for and a fair price to pay. I will be able to inspect it before the auction. I am going to ask if the left grip can be removed to inspect for additional rust and also matching numbers.

Any info would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry
Ozzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Barry:
Prepare yourself because Lugers usually bring more than they are worth at public auction. You just don't sneak up on Lugers at public auction. Then the buyer has to pay sales tax, FFL transfer fee, and a bidder's premium.
A collector to collector price would probably be around $1200, a store retail might go $1500+, all assuming things are right under the grips, inside the breach block, etc. I'm going to speculate here to guess that it will bring more than that at auction.
Take a long look at 1936 Lugers at Simpsons, Ltd. web site for good comparison.
Check for the extra fees before you bid so you don't find yourself hopelessly under water. Then go to the auction with a line in the sand that you won't cross.
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
Geo99
User

Make sure it functions - you can c0*k it and pull the trigger.
Remove the right grip (the one opposite the safety lever), not the left.
Blue look original, but look for halos - especially on the barrel numbers or witness strike.
Look for cold blue touch-up.
I don't know if you care, but it looks like the straw may have been redone - really impossible to tell from pictures, but very possible if you have the gun in hand to look at the polishing marks and insides.
Check the bore - description is very ambiguous.

Description is wrong -
"very little straw"? I don't know what Lugers the person who wrote this is used to looking at, but I'd say there is still plenty of straw - it's very nice, at least 70-80%.
Magazine is supposed to be nickel plated - no pics, but it could could be a clean factory original.

I disagree with David's price estimate for a 1936 - this gun is worth at least $1800-1900 retail.

David does make a good point about tax, transfer fee, and bidder's premium.

- Geo
Unread 10-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #4
alvin
User

The gun looks good on picture. If this is your first Luger, $1200 and $1500's difference is not really that big. Collector's advice is good, but that's based on their context -- they already have an established collection of this, of course they are very picky, looking for specific variation at specific price,,, especially for common variation in less than mint condition (common variation means they already have it, less than mint condition means they don't need to upgrade to this sample),,,, they can still buy it for trading, in that context, the cost must be very restrictively controlled.

For first time buyer, context is totally different. Of course, if it can come lower, that's better. Still focus on the gun being correct or not, that's more important than $200.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #5
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Barry

I see everyone is going to give his own opinion and you'll probably find yourself with ten different ones.
As far as I'm concerned I basically agree with David, I would never jump in a public auction for the first Luger, whereas I still prefer a "collector to collector" purchase.
Anyway good luck!
IMHO.

Best,

Sergio
Unread 10-18-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
DavidJayUden
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 1,414 Times in 887 Posts

Out of curiosity, keep us posted on what it brings.
I would be on board with GEO99's estimate were it not for the left side rust. But who knows what will happen at auction?
dju
DavidJayUden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #7
Curly1
User

Welcome to the forum Barry, I would put a WTB post in the forum and buy from one of the members.

Gary
Curly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2015, 10:54 AM   #8
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
If this is your first Luger, $1200 and $1500's difference is not really that big.
I dunno...I could buy a 'Shooter grade Spanish Ruby 7.65mm pistol' for that difference in price...

I'm curious about the tag with '12' on it...Does that indicate it is item #12 in the auction??? Sometimes [not always] it is good to bid on early items; they seem to go for less...People haven't gotten into the proper spending mood yet; auctioneers are anxious to break the bidding barrier, get more people involved...

Online pictures always accentuate defects...This Luger looks pretty good to me...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
I dunno...I could buy a 'Shooter grade Spanish Ruby 7.65mm pistol' for that difference in price...
Yes. Since the many people looking for guns on today's market are experienced collectors (at least, has collected for some years), it's very common to see people bargain on everything.... including Ruby,,, say, for this little money, what to bargain... but, you know, not much money, true, but it's a habitual behavior. Even talking down a pack of Marlboro is good. This is a new trend in the past couple of years.
Unread 10-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
DonVoigt
User

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,040 Posts

"This is a new trend in the past couple of years."

I don't think so, I've been "bargaining" since the first pistol I bought, over 50 years ago.
DonVoigt is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to DonVoigt for your post:
Unread 10-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #11
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post

I don't think so, I've been "bargaining" since the first pistol I bought, over 50 years ago.
Yes. That's right. But now it's more common.

My spouse strongly objects me putting more into hobby. She wants $$ for something else. For next few years, I will live on "internal cycling" -- using $ from sold guns to buy guns. That's fine, I have gotten most items that I want anyway. But the problem is dollars generated this way is too limited, due to the main collection cannot be touched. Sometimes, very attractive items appear, so desirable, that's a little bit painful for me.
Unread 10-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #12
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin View Post
Yes. That's right. But now it's more common.

My spouse strongly objects me putting more into hobby. She wants $$ for something else. For next few years, I will live on "internal cycling" -- using $ from sold guns to buy guns. That's fine, I have gotten most items that I want anyway. But the problem is dollars generated this way is too limited, due to the main collection cannot be touched. Sometimes, very attractive items appear, so desirable, that's a little bit painful for me.
I understand the "recycle" process, it can be a pain- whether caused by a spouse in your case or retirement in mine!

Too many collectibles, too little money!!
Unread 10-18-2015, 05:10 PM   #13
Arizona Slim
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Too many collectibles, too little money!!
DonVoigt is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

Amen to that Don, at first a guy might think he would like to have a Luger to take out to the range to shoot but as he begins to look around he sees a few of the variations available such as the Artillery's or Navies, maybe the highly desirable contract Lugers, or maybe the WW1 or WW11 pistols or ??????. Guess that's why so many forum members like to compare Lugers to potato chips, "can't be satisfied with just one"

Lon
Arizona Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
Ozzilla
User

Quote:

I'm curious about the tag with '12' on it...Does that indicate it is item #12 in the auction??? Sometimes [not always] it is good to bid on early items; they seem to go for less...People haven't gotten into the proper spending mood yet; auctioneers are anxious to break the bidding barrier, get more people involved...

Online pictures always accentuate defects...This Luger looks pretty good to me...
Yes it is the twelfth item up for bid.

Barry
Unread 10-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #15
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

If this Luger is correct and truly as nice in person as the photos show here, I would agree with Geo99 as to it's value. It looks to be a very nice Luger.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2015, 06:30 PM   #16
DonVoigt
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff View Post
If this Luger is correct and truly as nice in person as the photos show here, I would agree with Geo99 as to it's value. It looks to be a very nice Luger.
With a pitted left side? and likely cold blue touch up?

Maybe but I don't see it.
Unread 10-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #17
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,442 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzilla View Post
Yes it is the twelfth item up for bid.

Barry
I doubt if they will let you field-strip it, but check all visible numbers for matching. You don't indicate where you live but if you have to ship via FFL then factor that in [fee] plus S&H [fee] and local tax [fee]. I would stop bidding at $1250 but I am a cheapie.

If you like it and think it's worth more then go for it. Auctions: Catch The Fever!!!
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 10-18-2015, 10:31 PM   #18
Ozzilla
User

Quote:
I doubt if they will let you field-strip it, but check all visible numbers for matching. You don't indicate where you live but if you have to ship via FFL then factor that in [fee] plus S&H [fee] and local tax [fee]. I would stop bidding at $1250 but I am a cheapie.

If you like it and think it's worth more then go for it. Auctions: Catch The Fever!!!
I live in Pennsylvania. So only a $3.00 firearms tax and a $5.00 background check from this auctioneer.
Unread 10-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #19
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
With a pitted left side? and likely cold blue touch up?

Maybe but I don't see it.

In my part of the Country, I don't find many nice Lugers....not many Lugers period, for sale. If I purchase on line, then the cost goes up quite a bit for shipping, insurance, etc.

If in person, that flaw on the left side is all of the problem/s, then I would be looking at it seriously IF I wanted/needed a Luger like this one.
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #20
Sergio Natali
User

Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,007 Posts

Quote:

Yes, I do too, it's part of the fun!

Sergio