LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default A 1911 red cross luger compliments of george anderson!

Of any luger I owned this one is the Historical favorite.If it could talk! The red cross shows some wear and is legit. The picture of the grouping is beautiful. I love to surround my luger with historical makeup, Thanks again My way cool mentor!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOPPER A.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	26354  

Name:	TOPPER B.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	26355  

Name:	TOPPER C.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	244.6 KB
ID:	26356  

Name:	TOPPER D.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	26357  

Name:	red cross flag.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	26358  

cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I still own a Red Cross draw string ditty bag that I got from my Granfather. It is home made from a light, calico dress material, with a beautifully sewn on Red Cross. A somewhat chilling addition to the bag are the perfect, rusty imprints of a hob nailed boot, which had stepped on the bag at one time.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Wasn't a very pretty time. Grandpa told me a boyhood friend lost his life as so many, mustard gas! OUCH!!!
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
b0xcrash
User

Yeah very cool, the history and legacy; great to preserve and remember.
The costs, the loss, the actions and experiences were horrible though.
b0xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

My paternal Grandfather and one Great Uncle both survived the Great War but died shortly after from the effects of Mustard Gas. My Great Uncle never left the US. He worked at Edison's labs on various poison gas developments and upon his discharge in 1918, bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle and rode it from New Jersey to Los Angeles, (certainly among the first to ever do this). He died very shortly after arriving in California from the after effects of his work with gas. We have his discharge documents mentioning Edison Labs, a receipt detailing his separation pay and the sales receipt for the Harley in the family.

The surviving maternal Grandfather who lived long enough for me to know rode with Blackjack Pershing in the Punitive expedition against Pancho Villa. He said he knew Lt. Patton well. I have some decorations, which attest to this service. He then served in WW1 and managed to survive into the late 1970s. He was the Fire Chief of Passaic, New Jersey for almost 40 years.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 05-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Default Jan gave l;ugers a personality.

Lugers had to be the most resiliant handgun! Its an honor and privalege to own a gem of our past and my circle complete!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	circle.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	26359  

Unread 05-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
b0xcrash
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
My paternal Grandfather and one Great Uncle both survived the Great War but died shortly after from the effects of Mustard Gas. My Great Uncle never left the US. He worked at Edison's labs on various poison gas developments and upon his discharge in 1918, bought a Harley Davidson motorcycle and rode it from New Jersey to Los Angeles, (certainly among the first to ever do this). He died very shortly after arriving in California from the after effects of his work with gas. We have his discharge documents mentioning Edison Labs, a receipt detailing his separation pay and the sales receipt for the Harley in the family.

The surviving maternal Grandfather who lived long enough for me to know rode with Blackjack Pershing in the Punitive expedition against Pancho Villa. He said he knew Lt. Patton well. I have some decorations, which attest to this service. He then served in WW1 and managed to survive into the late 1970s. He was the Fire Chief of Passaic, New Jersey for almost 40 years.
That is pretty cool! To have that Harley he rode would be pretty awesome...my dad rode bikes and I have rode bikes since I was 8 myself.
My great grandfather passed away at 97 when I was 3 and fought in WWI. My great uncle and both grandfathers fought in WWII. My one grandfather flew in WWII.
I am 2nd gen US born Italian.

Now the fun part..........trying to find out the history of their experiences from any of them is........good luck. My great uncle just passed away a month ago at 93 and that is when I found out he fought in WWII as well. My grandfather passed away 4 months ago and same thing.
As far as them leaving anything behind from that era or our legacy carrying those stories, nothing I know about and my parents have very little settlement value attached to stuff, so they can care less.

Would be amazing if something was passed down, that I could then pass down to my son, but unfortunately being part of large Italian families nobody cares about that and more than likely collecting or saving things was the last thing on their mind.......I am trying to break that cycle after watching both my side of the family leave nothing behind and my wife's side of the family act childish, greedy and selfish with each death in the family.....to where collectibles are stolen or "lost", as they say, then sold in secret before they pass away or after without anyone knowing
b0xcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #8
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

These Germasns live a long life. My gramps August Bruning liveD to 88 after retireing to Florida. Heres his confectionary store in Hasting On The Hudson NY.During the first world war he was boycotted and lost his business finally moving here to Jensen Beach, Fla. He left me 3 notes he had in his cash register. That and a gold double eagle they left me. Did you ever notice German Grandfathers all have flat thumbs and long connecting ear lobes!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gramps cash.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	26360  

Name:	gramps cash 2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	26361