LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Announcements & Help > Site Technical Help or Site Feedback

Unread 03-01-2024, 08:34 PM   #1
Mike Z
User

Default This Websight has Slowed Down Alot

I can't figure out over the last few years why this great forum has gone about dead. Back when I joined it was jamming. I still come here 2 or 3 times a day and it's hardly used.
Mike Z is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to Mike Z for your post:
Unread 03-01-2024, 08:46 PM   #2
HerrKaiser
User

I agree. It’s the first website I found when I first found a Luger and where I cut my teeth . My guess, is the older format turns off potential new users. I admit that I find the Still forum and similar style fora markedly easier to navigate. Especially when trying to do work with pictures.

Looking for Mauser S/42 toggle train #22
HerrKaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 03-01-2024, 09:35 PM   #3
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Typical that the Fora based forums have been having upload problems for over a week.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 03-04-2024, 07:59 AM   #4
Ben M.
User

Natural up and downs of a forum. Also older collectors may be busy with life and what it left of theirs - focusing on other matters, interests, etc
Ben M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Ben M. for your post:
Unread 03-04-2024, 08:36 AM   #5
Vlim
Lifetime
LugerForum Patron

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,184 Posts

Most of the knowledgeable oldtimers are dead or have retired from collecting. Most of the discussions on the other forum are either attempts to sell or requests (demands) for information by lazy people.

I miss the old discussions on research and identification of rare examples. My HSc collecting buddies are all gone too.

My own health is going down the drain too, so I have started to terminate my research and collecting efforts as well.
Vlim is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to Vlim for your post:
Unread 03-05-2024, 08:33 AM   #6
jeb111
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

This was the first forum I joined and have found it immensely helpful in my collecting and adding to my basic knowledge. The other Luger forum does allow for more conversations about other firearms so maybe some feel a bit more restricted on this site which doesn’t have to be. Another reason for the slow down is it just may be cyclical as in how many times can the same questions be asked? Maybe we’re just running out of things to talk about which is natural I think. Lastly for me I find it easier to post pictures on the other forum, I can do it myself from my iPhone as opposed to this forum where I have to use my desktop computer and have to have my tech savvy wife help me unless I’m just doing something wrong. I will always troll this site as there are some very smart people here that aren’t on the other forum.
Jim
jeb111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 10 members says Thank You to jeb111 for your post:
Unread 03-05-2024, 10:29 AM   #7
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I find this forum to be easier to use and to search.
Jan's forum is more active, but it has more distractions and those annoyning ads.

Both are still too complicated to upload photos.

I almost always use a desktop computer, too.
But, I have found the smartphone very handy when I'm away from home at a gun show or gun dealer's shop.

I miss the Luger experts we have lost just in the past couple of years, but I still look up their past posts and contributions.

We have a legacy to nourish here - and more new collectors to welcome and share with.

I find the forum addictive, because I never fail to learn something new and fascinating.
Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to Mac Cat for your post:
Unread 03-05-2024, 09:03 PM   #8
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

I was quite late starting out--not until 2011--and cut my teeth on this forum, although I had joined both. It is a community, for sure...maybe even a family, as its members do more than swap Luger info. I've witnessed many times when members were supported during personal trials. I've always thought that was a good thing.

As they say, nothing remains the same like change. The new guard trickles in as the old guard of characters and experts trickles out. I don't think "Luger-itis" will ever go away, and its contagion will continue.

p.s. I suggest making a post or comment to liven things up. That Luger you need to post pics of...that pesky little question or thought...you get the idea!
Unread 03-13-2024, 03:37 AM   #9
klaus 3338
User

Das meiste ist sicher schon erwähnt. Hervorheben möchte ich, dass sich im Hinblick auf die große Mitgliederzahl nur sehr wenige Mitglieder, und es sind auch immer dieselben, zu den Themen äußern. Erst kürzlich wurde ein bemerkenswerter Beitrag zur Schwarzlose Pistole gezeigt, der mit viel Arbeit und Liebe zum Detail ausgearbeitet war, aber erstaunlicher weise keinen Anklang fand. Da muss man sich nicht wundern, wenn sich der eine oder andere nicht mehr meldet und sein Wissen für sich behält.
klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 4 members says Thank You to klaus 3338 for your post:
Unread 03-13-2024, 10:35 AM   #10
sdmark777
User

Translation (by Google Translate) from Klaus:

"Most of it has probably already been mentioned. I would like to emphasize that, given the large number of members, only very few members, and they are always the same ones, comment on the topics. Only recently a remarkable contribution to the Schwarzlose pistol was shown, which was worked out with a lot of work and attention to detail, but surprisingly was not well received. You don't have to be surprised if one or the other doesn't get in touch anymore and keeps their knowledge to themselves."
sdmark777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to sdmark777 for your post:
Unread 03-14-2024, 03:30 AM   #11
klaus 3338
User

Thanks for the translation
klaus 3338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2024, 06:28 AM   #12
jamese
User

Been here a long time myself, but find that my collecting interest have slowed down because it seems that most of the new collectors are not interested in the history behind the gun they might be holding in there hands.

I also think that some of the old timers who kept things going have passed
Unread 03-14-2024, 08:09 AM   #13
HerrKaiser
User

Also as a young man, the economic realities for the vast majority of my generation simply puts getting into collecting out of reach. Studies show that some 75% of Americans can’t scrape together $500 for an emergency if it happened right now. I’m thankful I would be able to, in fact I did have to just last week for an emergency vet visit and stay. But if I was less financially stable, and I don’t even truly feel all too financially stable to be honest, I would have had to pretty much sell all my collection and rebuilding it even to the extent I have now would likely take 20 years since much of it was acquired before 2020.

The idea that even $1200 Shooter Lugers are attainable to young collectors to get them involved in the hobby-in an age where my monthly salary alone as a teacher with a Master’s degree does not even cover a month’s rent for a single bedroom apartment in an area that has any type of job availability, is incredibly far fetched. If I had to get started now instead of when I did in late 2017, I wouldnt have gotten into the hobby since it would have been financially out of reach for me. As it is, the hobby is still mostly out of reach for me, I have had to sell for/trade for/very creatively finance my last 3 Luger purchases and I am at about the end of the rope of stuff I have to continue these practices.

The following member says Thank You to HerrKaiser for your post:
Unread 04-15-2024, 08:39 PM   #14
big open
Banned

HerrKaiser ----- Yes, I do feel sorry for you and young folks like you who are just trying to get into the things that you and I are so interested in at the moment. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to start accumulating my pieces nearly 65+ years ago. Several of the initial pieces I still have in my safe today my wife (bless her heart) bought some of them for me in pawn shops on 1st St. in Tulsa, Okla. when that was a skid row part of town. Women like that are even more valuable than the entirety of what is in my safe today. Can I help you in any way ??
big open is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2024, 09:06 PM   #15
HerrKaiser
User

It is what it is, best I can do is keep what I have been doing and soldier on. Perseverance and being shrewd in decision making seems to be a universal skillset across history to accomplishing one’s aims. I am young, time is still yet my friend on my endeavors.