LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 03-24-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
southriv
User

Default Shooting a Collector Swiss

I would like to shoot my prize, a 1906 Swiss cross in shield. The gun is near perfect and I am somewhat worried about the risk of damage. I have seen recommendations about changing out the toggle for shooting a collcetor. For a donor I am considering a 1915 DWM mismatch that is my shooter. It is in nice condition with the toggle (which is matching to itself) being the mismatch. It functions well with a new mag - I regularly put 200-300 a month through it.

As the DWM is a mismatch, the date of the toggle is a question. It is of comparable quality to the 1906 Swiss (which dates from about 1911), is about 97-98% and on close inspection looks nearly identical in all aspects to the toggle in the 1906.

For test fit (not shooting) I put this toggle assembly into the 1906. It fits and functions perfectly. I have not, however made any comparisons with measuring instruments. I also tried this assembly for fit in a 42 byf and it worked well, also. With the byf I was able to test a dummy round for extraction. With all tests I used the pistolâ??s original rear pin.

I donâ??t have access to a local gunsmith to check this out. I have a small hobby tool room and a decent array of measuring instruments. I am, at best, an amateur gunsmith. I have improved the function of and fixed many of my guns over the years. I do, however, recognize my limitations and always ask or try to farm out any work of which I am uncertain. Is there any way I can check this out further? I understand one critical area is the measurement of headspace - which I assume is at the face of the breechblock and when the toggle assembly is closed. How can I measure this, what other things should be checked & do you think what I am doing is advisable?

Any advice, guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bob
southriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

welllll, if the gun us near perfect, wouldn't it be better to get a non-perfect and shoot her?

I have shot a few of my "collectable" guns, but if you screw it up, and I don't even mean breaking a part, but something easy like; slip and you scratch the heck out of it, or drop it a foot and chip a grip...

I am Mr. Clumsy and what a pain when you do the stupid thing...

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
southriv
User

Well...good point, but a swiss shooter is more $$$.... & besides, the term "Safe Queen" kind of bugs me as I am used to at least occasionally shooting most of my collectables. As far as the risk of a scratch, etc. that I'm willing to take - it's the broken parts everyone seems most concerned about.

Bob
southriv is offline   Reply With Quote