LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Swiss Lugers

Unread 03-25-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
stallturn
User

Default Swiss M1900 value?

I have been offered a M1900 Swiss in fabulous condition with all matching serial numbers apart from the trigger. To the collector, how much of a difference does this (trigger with different number) make to the value compared to am all-matching example in the same overall condition?
stallturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 06:58 PM   #2
stallturn
User

Has no-one an opinion on this?
stallturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi John,

You asked a very good question and one that probably does not have an easy answer...thus the lack of reply by fellow LF members.

A purist would want all possible parts matched to the gun's serial number...and here in the USA you will see WTB ads from fellows looking for an original part with the "right" 2-digit serial numbers. This is a practice of force-matching (not to be confused with boosting where an un-numbered part is expertly stamped with the right numbers and passed on as "original".)

You'll even see such WTB ads in our WTS/WTB sections here on the Luger Forum.

I personally would not have a problem owning a Swiss luger with a non-matched serial number on the trigger...since the number is typically hidden by the trigger side plate. But for a wide trigger Swiss in which the number is visible with the side plate on, I would want the trigger to match.

As far as a reduction of the gun's value...??? I have no idea...but I would at least bring this up to the seller's attention and try to use it to get him/her to discount the selling price by a couple of hundred $$'s. Always buy low if you can...

If the Swiss luger you have a chance to buy is all original and other parts all matching and if it stirs your soul when you hold it, why not add it to your collection ?

The original trigger may have been broken or lost along the way...just another part of this gun's history...a gun that is over 100 years old.

I have several guns in my collection that do not have their original firing pins...those probably broke or wore out as well...

I would only hope to have all my original body parts when I am 104 years old !!!

If you buy the piece, please post photos. If you have more questions or if you know the serial number, let us know and we can probably round up more info. for you to help you in your purchasing-decision.

Regards,

Pete...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote