LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Off Topic & Other Firearms

Unread 06-10-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
chazbotic
User

Default C96 value?

i've recently inherited a c96 and would like to insure it, but i'm uncertain to the value. i've gotten conflicting reports from gun stores and the insurer, so i figure i should ask collectors what may be appropriate.

all parts have matching serial numbers (frame, bolt, hammer, et c). some small parts (safety, extractor, et c) are salt blue. the finish is original as far as i know (never any record of rebluing). the grips are serial numbered to the gun (stamped). there is no prussian eagle on the front of the magazine, but the other marks are quite visible. surface rust on most of it, unfortunately, but fully functioning otherwise. bore is clean without pits or rust, but not bright. strong rifling. the green bits you may see are fuzz from the blanket. haven't had a chance to do anything but examine, photograph, and oil.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by chazbotic; 06-10-2013 at 09:20 AM.
chazbotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

I might be mistaken, but my eye tells me gently buffed and reblued some time ago. It would help if all the oil and fuzz was removed an additional photos provided.
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

9mm; 50-500 sights; grips look good; pitting, but photos often exaggerate pits; I would agree with Doug that the bluing is too good to be original, more of it should have oxidized into brown-ish 'patina'...The high wear spots aren't worn enough...Edges that should be sharp are slightly rounded [the 'gently buffed' Doug mentioned]...Impact area behind locking bolt is good, with the anemic 9mm, that's normal...

I have a couple Mausers, and although Alvin is the person I listen to concerning Mausers, I would say ~$700-$750 for a pitted 9mm...If I was buying...maybe ~$800-$850 if I was selling...

IMHO, the 7.63mm Broomhandles are more desirable than the 9mm's...And the full-size C96/M30 more desirable than the Bolos...

Insure for whatever Simpsons lists for a nice 9mm C96, as that's what you'll want if it needs replacement...

BTW: Several knowledgeable members of this forum can not see and therefore won't comment on your Mauser because they work for corporations (or the government) who provide their Internet access for them but filter out or block social media sites like PhotoBucket, YouTube, SmugMug, TinyPic, Google+, Flickr, etc...If you want a rounded selection of opinions, attach your pics right here, to your thread...

...And take pics outside on a cloudy day [indirect light, no flash]...

...Just my $.02...
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
alanint
User

As Rich mentioned. It is important to know if your sights aré 1000 meter or ?500 meter sights
The following member says Thank You to alanint for your post:
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
As Rich mentioned. It is important to know if your sights aré 1000 meter or ?500 meter sights
Doug, as Alvin pointed out, the 50-500 sight ramps are straight; the 50-1000 are curved...(The ones above are straight)...
Pic attached...Of course, over the years, sight leafs get swapped, 9mm & 7.63 graduations changed...Even the FN Mauser carbine sight leaf will fit...

I don't know offhand what the Bolo uses; probably the 50-500 sights...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C96_ramps.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	34386  

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
chazbotic
User

they are 500 meter tangent sights. the edges are quite sharp in person, actually, but yes i will take better photos once it is daylight on the patio where lighting is more even and brighter.
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

I mentioned that the FN Mauser carbine (the K98 rifle/carbine clone; not the pistol) rear sight will fit the Broomhandle; here's a comparison pic of the 50-1000 sight and the FN carbine sight...The leaf, slider, and flat spring will all fit the Broomhandle (some minor hand fitting may be required)...

1400 meter Broomhandle... Well, it's no more optimistic than an Artillery Luger...

I've fitted one of these to my long-barreled C96 wildcat; I'm sure others have done the same...Original C96 50-1000 sights are difficult to find, for some reason...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C96_sights2.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	34388  

Unread 06-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Douglas Jr.
User

In my opinion, the gun is in original condition.
Pictures can be deceiving when evaluating finish. Pictures under indirect natural light are the best choice for a better evaluation.
Douglas Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Douglas Jr. for your post:
Unread 06-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
chazbotic
User

i've taken some better pictures this morning and removed the fuzz and whatnot. apologies for the poor quality from earlier.

The following member says Thank You to chazbotic for your post:
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
alanint
User

I would agree that the finish is original, based on the new photos.
Unread 06-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
alvin
User

No kidding. How can this be original finish. But, don't be frustrated. Value depends on viewers. At least, it's a genuine German made 9mm. Back a few days ago, a converted 9mm (from 7,63mm) in refurbished mode attracted bidding at $2000 on gunbroker.com. And, there were more than one bidder.... Fortunately (or unfortunately ??), $2000 was still lower than seller's reserve. But the gun disappeared, probably bidder and seller compromised and settled somewhere slightly higher than $2000? God knows.

Given 9mm "Selbstlader" marked (in five Hanji) assembled from Schnellfeuer parts in 1980s steadily goes around $1200 nowadays, refurbished vs refurbished, this Red 9's value should be a little bit higher that, IMO. But many players were attracted by the removable magazine, and your Red 9 is fixed magazine, that's a disadvantage on your gun. So, that reference dollar number may not work.
alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
chazbotic
User

so it is or isn't an original finish? to my knowledge, it's had this finish since the mid 40's, when my grandfather acquired it from France, prior to that i'm unsure. $1200 a good insurance value? to be clear, it is a 5.5" barrel (measured with a dowel). i have no plans to sell; the value is for insurance paperwork, which must be at "fair market value" and can be adjusted later in claims. this, along with a few other firearms are family heirlooms. thank you so much everyone.

is it normal for small parts to have that iridescent oily look? it's on most small parts, including the extractor, safety, tangent sight, and a few others.
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
alanint
User

Yes, these parts are fire blued and will have that rainbow blue look to them.
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #14
Paladinpainter
User

Chaz, I think $1200 is probably on the low side of the retail range. Were you to replace it today, I suspect you'd be paying closer to $1800. For a wartime gun, it appears to be in excellent condition, uncommon in these old timers. If you visit GunsAmerica or GunBroker, you can search for similar Broomhandles or Mauser pistols and make your own comparisons.
You have a wonderful family treasure on your hands. If there were any stories about how your Grandfather got the gun, write them down and keep them with the gun. They are part of your Grandfather's history during the war.

Regards,
John
Paladinpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
alanint
User

Alvin,
You are the resident expert here, but your comment is confusing. Do you believe the gun has its original finish or not?
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
CJS57
User

Dip refinished on the frame and barrel based on the massive pitting under the blue.
CJS57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #17
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanint View Post
Alvin,
You are the resident expert here, but your comment is confusing. Do you believe the gun has its original finish or not?
This red 9 was non-professionally reblued. I am not an expert, but I have seen many Broomhandles on the internet. Thanks for the internet, otherwise, people like me won't have time, money, and energy to run around the country to join all those gun shows. Internet online auction is a big gun show everyday
Unread 06-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
chazbotic
User

i wonder when it was refinished then, as i understand it, it has never been refinished since the 1940's, and been held in storage since then. a friend, from his experiences with mostly colt revolvers, has mentioned that it doesn't appear to be rounded and stampings and edges are still "flat where flat and round where round", whatever that means. honestly i'm not much of an older firearm person, my personal arms are generally the more modern offerings, but i know quality when i see it.

thank you everyone. i think i'll tell the insurer $1500 and split the difference, unless that's too low. i find the pricing from simpsons ltd and others to be inconsistent.
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
saab-bob
User

Alvin
What is the 6 pointed star stamping on the bottom of the barrel signify?
Thanks
Bob
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #20
alvin
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab-bob View Post
What is the 6 pointed star stamping on the bottom of the barrel signify?
Only factory record can answer it accurately. I don't know. I guess it signifies an inspection step in barrel making. After major parts were made, they must be inspected for some key parameters before being sent to final assembly line for parts fitting (headspace? rifling? front sight height? God knows). There is an Imperial Acceptance Stamp on the right side of the chamber, but that's "final examination", long before the whole gun reached to that stage, I assume there were many "quizzes" along the way on major parts manufacturing, so defects on individual parts could be found and corrected early. Comparing with other parts, barrel markings are busy, due to it's the most important component on the gun directly affecting performance.

Just a guesstimation. Mauro and Vlim had Mauser document. They probably can offer more information on Mauser's manufacturing and QA process.
The following member says Thank You to alvin for your post: