LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 05-22-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
Rick W.
User

Default 25 Luger

I was looking into rear toggle parts tonight, when my net surfing brought up a custom Luger. A parts gun, but with an octagon, longish barrel in a 30 Luger necked up to 25 caliber. Looked like nice work whomever accomplished that feat, featured a martini cadet rear sight ala artillery type on the barrel. Probably made up by some unknown guy for another unknown shooter type etc etc; craftsmanship/working knowledge is always appreciated.

Article said function was best with 2400 type powders, and the 60 gr Hornady bullet. The 75's, the author deemed were a bit too long for the magazine of the Luger. Touted 1700 fps. 60gr Hornady are sought after by many, guess perhaps 256 or 25-20 type guys; hence kinda hard to find, but casting is still around.

As in most net things, some things are to be pondered as to whether on the beam or not; but was interesting as a wildcat.

For years the 22/30 Luger has been around, always had some issues with feeding in most postings; power for the action without pounding the pistol apart. I have pondered a 6mm or 25 cal myself, but never got out the gate sorta speak. Not sure if a 60 grain would be more better than a 50gr for function, but as usual, the thrill of the hunt, trying things, and enjoying the life we have; still prevails.

I thought that perhaps a few here would find the American Handgunner article interesting. Probably kinda out of reason $-wise for those hiring the work(or finding someone that would attempt such) but the self sufficient group might give it some thought, just something different for a change. Not for everyone obviously.......
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

What American Handgunner article is that???

I did/do have a .256/30 Mauser C96 that I did years ago. Uses the Hornady 60gr JFP #2510 bullet. Clymer ground the reamer. Still have the barreled upper but passed the C96 on. Flat shooting; loud crack.

The barrel was originally much longer but I cut it back and re-chambered it. My cartridges were made from .223 Remington brass cut down and reformed in a .256 Winchester Magnum sizing/reloading die. Chamber cut with a .256 Winchester Magnum chambering finishing reamer.

Bullet, cartridge, comparison of .256 and .30 Mauser barrels, reamer, and barreled receiver. The #2510 bullets still show up on GB and eBay frequently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	256Mauser.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	72511  

Last edited by sheepherder; 05-23-2018 at 09:26 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
rhuff
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Hey Rick,

I am also interested in what issue of American Handgunner Mag that you found said article. Sounds most alluring.
Need DWM breechblock #21
rhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2018, 05:04 PM   #4
Rick W.
User

PM or email on link sent to sheepherder and rhuff.

If one googles "American Handgunner 25 luger" it will come up as well. Not often see a Luger in that caliber and octagon barrel yet.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post: