LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Closed Thread
Unread 05-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Kwmpa
User

Default Calling all 1902 carbine experts

I'm looking at purchasing my first Luger a 1902 carbine. What all should I be looking for. Its all serial numbers matching. I'm going to inspect it soon. Want to know what all to look for in person. Thanks
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:08 AM   #2
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

wow, thats an open question.

No offense, but if you are having to ask questions like this, I'd study much more before you start to lay out big money for a carbine.

Not a lot of ref out there on carbines, the new Sturgess book has them, kenyon talks about them, Datig does too and Walters.

Ed
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Unread 05-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
Kwmpa
User

That is pretty offensive actually....I'm asking a question on a forum isn't that what forums are designed for....and inwas just getting ready to call you about the carbines you have but im going to forget that...

I know there are a couple of guys on here that know what they are talking about when it comes to them...I have been reading up on them actually but there has to be certain things to look for....and I'm not looking to buy from just anyone I'm looking at one George Anderson has for sale...and as far as I've read he's as honest as they come...this is going to be the first of many carbines looking to buy as many high quality ones as I can get my hands on...so if anyone wants to add something constructive and helpful for the good of the group please post what to look for.
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

I am sorry, if I sounded like I was offending you, and I can see how it sounded that way, and I apologize.

As far as calling me about carbines, well, I have no shop and no carbines, so I am unsure who you are blaming for my rudeness.

My apologies.

Ed
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Kwmpa
User

Ed i should probably apologize to for my rude reply...Just mistaken maybe...possibly been up to long...or lack of coffee and pancakes...i know I'm jumping full bore into this with carbines and A&F guns....its high dollar stuff...honestly those are the only lugers i have an interest in...and I'm a young gun being just shy of 30 but I've grown up with vintage guns...my grandfather worked at colt so naturally I was involved in pre-war colts...my dad has been involved in Thompsons for a while....I know education is key I have bought ever Luger book I can get my hands on and read everything i possibly can...like I said I'm talking to George Anderson who from what i have heard is as honest as they come...I wouldn't buy from anyone without inspection and making sure everything is 100% correct I've looked at 15 or so carbines that I have passed on because things have been wrong...but the one I'm looking at is as sold as it gets for me nice patina all numbers matching. Repo case but I'm ok with that. George has been up front about any issues with anything. And from what I found hes quick to point out flaws...
Unread 05-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #6
deepdarkwoodsman
User

Ed:

I don't think you need to apologize for anything.

I think you gave this gentleman some very sound advice.

Doug
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

K, Just a starting point: The Borchardt inspection should determine that the serial numbers are of the correct size, font and commerical location to be considered matching. If you can't make that determination, you have some more studying to do. TH
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
hgreer2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwmpa View Post
I'm looking at purchasing my first Luger a 1902 carbine. What all should I be looking for. Its all serial numbers matching. I'm going to inspect it soon. Want to know what all to look for in person. Thanks
If you really want to know, contact George Fortier. The most knowledgeable guy I know concerning 1902 carbines and he always willing to share his expertise.

Harry
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
That is pretty offensive actually....I'm asking a question on a forum isn't that what forums are designed for....and inwas just getting ready to call you about the carbines you have but im going to forget that...
This is not the right venue to impress the regulars with how much money you are eager to spend on bogus relics. Ed gave you the best advice possible under the circumstances. Buy the books before you buy the guns.
The following member says Thank You to Michael Zeleny for your post:
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #10
Kwmpa
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgreer2 View Post
If you really want to know, contact George Fortier. The most knowledgeable guy I know concerning 1902 carbines and he always willing to share his expertise.

Harry
George had just emailed me...I need to give him a call this week
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
Kwmpa
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zeleny View Post
This is not the right venue to impress the regulars with how much money you are eager to spend on bogus relics. Ed gave you the best advice possible under the circumstances. Buy the books before you buy the guns.

Not trying to impress anyone with anything...if you read my reply to him i have the books...I was looking for additional knowledge
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
Michael Zeleny
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

Quote:
Not trying to impress anyone with anything...if you read my reply to him i have the books...I was looking for additional knowledge
If you have the books, read them to the point where you can pose sensible specific questions. As Ed suggested above, to ask "what all to look for in person" is to pose an open question that cannot be answered by anything short of a treatise on the subject of your query.
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
hgreer2
Banned

If you have to buy the books from some greedy seller, you can't afford the carbine.

Harry
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
If you have to buy the books from some greedy seller, you can't afford the carbine.

Harry
That's why Jan, Don, Ed, Gerben and the others didn't become investment bankers or hedge fund managers, the big money is in books.
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:10 PM   #15
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Quote:

Harry
Then skip buying the carbine. If you aren't willing to spend the money for tuition (most good books are not the result of greed but of availability and value) then don't expect to graduate Summa Cum Laude from Luger U. Believe me, if you are going to jump into the rarified atmosphere of collecting Luger Carbines or any other high dollar example, you better be well informed. It is a sorry hide that has to depend on the good will of other collectors to cover his butt.
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
Norme
Always A
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,591 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
No, reselling them after they are out of print, GREED.
Harry
Harry, Jan's, Don's, Ed's and Gerben's latest books are all still in print
and are very modestly priced considering. Certainly well within the reach of someone considering the purchase of a Luger carbine. Or would you rather depend on the kindness of others? Norman
Unread 05-23-2011, 11:53 PM   #17
hgreer2
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norme View Post
Harry, Jan's, Don's, Ed's and Gerben's latest books are all still in print
and are very modestly priced considering. Certainly well within the reach of someone considering the purchase of a Luger carbine. Or would you rathe depend on the kindness of others? Norman
No Norme, I came here on the Luger Forum to find out about Sherman tanks, what a question. Just for the record, I go to Amazon to buy books. Books about bring back stories doesn't teach me a thing about Lugers. According to you and Ron, we don't need a forum, just a book store.

Harry
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:35 AM   #18
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso

Quote:
Then don't respond to questions and take your knowledge to the grave with you.
I'm glad everyone doesn't feel the way you do. I don't have the 1000 bucks to spend on books,that is why I rely on the good will of the advanced collectors. I wasn't around to buy the books when they came out in print, otherwise I would have some.

Harry
Nice, Harry, real nice. You do have the $1000 to spend on books, you just choose to spend it on other stuff that tickles your fancy and rely on good natured individuals to bail out your lack of commitment. Over the years I have passed on as much of my knowledge as I could to willing learners of Luger facts and history. You think it is perfectly OK to impose your judgment on serious individuals that have devoted half a lifetime in acquiring data about Lugers and Luger history because you are too damn lazy to do your own research and to damn stingy to spend some money on that research. You would rather squander it on the acquisition of high dollar pretty toys and fault the folks that suggest that you do some of the work yourself.
I won’t carry what I know to the grave because I have already passed it on to caring individuals when they seek it. I hope what I have written doesn’t cause you to spill your scotch or whatever adult beverage you consume in the evening that causes you to post such insensitive and irrelevant remarks. Buy some books Harry and do some studying. Cease being a leech on the good will of others.
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #19
hgreer2
Banned

Ok, Ron, in your words whats the point of a forum, maybe you start charging for your responses, would you feel better then. Half of the books I have bought are full of mistakes.

Harry
Unread 05-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #20
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

It isn't to spoon feed jokers that do not care enough to do their own work and invest in the resources that will make them a little smarter and a better contributor to the forums. You want everything handed to you on a silver platter and when someone suggests you do a little research on your own to expand your frame of reference you go all ballistic and tell us to take our information to the grave. You are lazy Harry.
Closed Thread