LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 02-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,133 Times in 2,173 Posts
Default Out Of Sight~~

Are there instances where any of our friends need to either purchase or borrow a sight adjustment tool. Aren't they sight tested at the factory for accuracy. Is it used for a windy day which makes no sense, Maybe to create a sight placement for correction during production. I don't shoot any of mine so I don't know if any of mine need adjustment! I'm not referring to elevation! Your thoughts would be appreciated! As I lack first hand knowledge and will worry all night! Does it come with instructions?? Eric
cirelaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #2
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Sight adjustment!?

Hi to all, in re-barreling Lugers, I have found while taking barrels off, and while putting them back on, seldom does the index marks align... before? After? During?... always just a fraction of a red frogs hair off?... Well, I have a partial theory on the deal... I think the barrels, when original mated to the receivers, are as close to perfect as can be as far as top dead center, and parallel rear sight top and front sight base top, and then indexed marked as such! ... Then, for what ever reason, they may be disassembles and sent to different finishing areas... or, at the very end of the manufacture process, they are actually put on paper and ever so slightly adjusted to be on center, with the sights on center?.... The up side to this is very little adjustment has to be made in the field... Left handers are just screwed and will normally shoot a full inch to the left... Down side, is now the marks do not align?... And if you re-align them, you'd be right at the point prior to the range target test?... All conjecture on my part.. but, it's the only thing I can see that applies to what I have experienced?... Best to all, til....lat'r.....GT...

Oops! Make that a full inch to the right! I'm left right challenged!!!
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post:
Unread 02-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

That kinda explains why my a carbine has a 3 inch front fixed sight!! TKS My Hero!!!
Unread 02-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #4
cirelaw
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

That reminded me that I have a well well worn telegraph unit the has so much wear on one side! Left handed! Did most own their one luger for the duration of the war. When were unit marking applied. Is there a way to determine if it was applied initually or later in the war in case of transfer. Are some unit markings more rare i.e. or navy sub units or Zeppelin units. Are there those the most rare? Are there fake post war unit fake markings? What should you look for? Have any been removed? Have Eagles been faked?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navy 007.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	71040