LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > Early Lugers (1900-1906)

Unread 06-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Hugo Borchardt
User

Default Odd 1906 Commercial

Here is something you don't see every day:

This 1906 Commercial apparently has had all serial #'s removed AND a stock lug added.

The funny thing that struck me is how the leather lanyard hangs down blocking the grip safety!!! Hope this one wasn't carried for self defense!

http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_in...a1d8be4006722c

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts

Interesting. Somebody liked a clean line...

Would the internal parts have been replaced with unmarked ones? It strikes me that to grind numbers and proofs from such things as extractor and f.p. would reduce their meat significantly--this would likely affect function and/or durability?

And it looks like I'm not the only lunatic with a hankering to install a stock lug, though in this case, a frame that's not supposed to have one, the reverse situation of mine.

BTW, the lug on this 1900 sports a jaunty 1 0r 2 degree cant to the left! Would it hurt or improve the value--or neither--to grind the stock lug back off? " ...a very well done fabrication." ?!? NOT!

Clark, what do you think of that $3,750 price tag?

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Hugo Borchardt
User

David:

Very high. Simpson is usually high, but even so, $2000 might be high for this one, perhaps for someone to buy as a nice 1906 shooter.

In my experience, Simpson is a pretty fair outfit and boy do they move a lot of inventory through there. I don't know how they get their pricing, as some items are priced fairly reasonably while others seem sky high.

For example, I purchased a well documented all matching US Test Luger from them for $3200 last year, yet yesterday they added one with a mismatched upper and lower for over $7k.

Perhaps some of their items are on consignment and the consignee asking price plus the commission is the price. Some items move instantly, while similar items sit there with a very high price.

Not criticizing Simpson here, as they seem to run a good business - just curious.

Clark

My militaria collection is dedicated to the memory of my Grandfather, Marine Gunnery Sergeant Dave Hill, Jr., wounded in action at The Assault of the Second Marine Division on Betio Island, Tarawa Atoll, 20-23 November, 1943. http://www.tarawa1943.com/pages/casualties%20tarawa.htm
Hugo Borchardt is offline   Reply With Quote