LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > General Discussion Forums > Shooting and Reloading

Unread 04-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
CRob
User

Default 100gr Speer plinkster in 30 Luger

Has anyone used the 100gr plinker bullet from Speer in their 30 Luger? Dimensionally it looks like it'll work. I'm using Bullseye or Unique powder any load information would be appreciated. The 44th Lyman's manual shows starting loads of 3.5 grains and 4.4 grains for a 93 grain FMJ bullet.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Last edited by CRob; 04-13-2018 at 05:36 AM.
CRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRob View Post
Thanks for any help you can give me.

https://www.natchezss.com/speer-spec...ts-100-ct.html

Price: $11.99/100
Availability: In stock

Product Number: SP1805

I like the idea of a slightly heavier bullet for longer barreled Lugers.

I'll be testing my 7.65 'carbine' shortly, as well as a 7.65 Parabellum barreled Nambu. This bullet may be something I'd like.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to sheepherder for your post:
Unread 04-07-2018, 07:28 AM   #3
CRob
User

I've loaded up five to take to the range. Here's what three of them look like. From left to right Hornady 86gr, Sierra 85gr, then three of the Speer 100gr , last is a PPU 93 gr factory load (my favorite). My concern is the depth the bullet seats in the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compared to 100gr.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	71910  

Unread 05-04-2018, 05:45 AM   #4
CRob
User

Fired them off yesterday seemed to work fine no broken parts. I think I'll load up about 50 of them.
Unread 05-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Rick W.
User

I have used the 100 gr Speer Plinker in the 30 Luger, but it has been a while. I remember seeing the useage of said bullet in the 30 Luger in which a Handloader article reference was given for loading info; but that has been years ago.

There are always times when components are scarce. When I tried the Speer bullet, one could not find much in cases or bullets for the 30 Luger. So the useage of odd bullets and making cases came to light if I wanted to shoot the Lugers. Such comes and goes, glad reloading allowed me to continue to shoot.

I believe if you search the net for "30 Luger speer plinker loads" that some info will come up, as usual compare to your own references and basic common reloading sense; fake news or miss typed critical things you know or flat did not write what they thought they meant.

I do not remember any issues with the exposed lead nose in feeding in my Lugers. I never thought about depth into the case in those days, but obviously, less volume effects pressures. One would suspect that starting low per 90+gr bullet references, or a bit less; and work up with the 100. Please use discretion.

I have reserved my real 30 Luger shooting in vintage examples of Luger pistols, ie ones that I have not taken apart yet for rebarreling. I have come use to what was called here, the 7.65x19; which is the full length 9mmx19 case necked up to 30 caliber. 30 Luger dies are shortened and the 30 Luger finish reamer run in short appropriately. Getting older, I do not bother picking up my wildcat cases as one pass thru the shortened dies is it to forming fwiw. Real 30 Luger cases are more $ than range 9mm cases bought by the bucketful.

All I have now is a local indoor range, and lead bullets are no more there, so delving into resizing bullets as well as buying the more expensive 309 pistol bullets. Used Lee lead cast bullets for a while, but the new rules.......

I have come to settle on Unique for my 30 cal Lugers, perhaps not the best choice for clean, but I think the slower burning powder allows the action to work easily, sorta an orchestration rather than a quick jam, just my opinion there.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post:
Unread 05-05-2018, 09:18 AM   #6
Sieger
User

Hi,

Watch your O. A. L. to avoid jamming!

Proper length for a round nose bullet should be 1.173 inches. See my post on "Determining Proper Cartridge O.A.L.", in this section as a Sticky, or some helpful hints.

Also, either lead or FMJ bullets, up to .311 diameter, work in my 1920 Commercial just fine; so feel free to try some larger diameter ones. This should increase you selection as well.

For powder, I'd give the medium/slow burners a try for accuracy, Power Pistol and HS-6 come to mind. Also, most of the commercial loading data out there is too light to even function a Luger, so be aware of this.

Just some thoughts. PM me if you would like.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Sieger for your post:
Unread 05-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieger View Post
Hi,

Watch your O. A. L. to avoid jamming!

Proper length for a round nose bullet should be 1.173 inches. See my post on "Determining Proper Cartridge O.A.L.", in this section as a Sticky, or some helpful hints.

Also, either lead or FMJ bullets, up to .311 diameter, work in my 1920 Commercial just fine; so feel free to try some larger diameter ones. This should increase you selection as well.

For powder, I'd give the medium/slow burners a try for accuracy, Power Pistol and HS-6 come to mind. Also, most of the commercial loading data out there is too light to even function a Luger, so be aware of this.

Just some thoughts. PM me if you would like.

Sieger
I will add to that. There is no "general rule" that can fit any Luger. They are old, they are not all in the same condition, springs are different in every gun. Barrel insides are also different. There is no "one receipe" fits all. Don't ask me why I know that.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to kurusu for your post: