LugerForum Discussion Forums my profile | register | faq | search
upload photo | donate | calendar

Go Back   LugerForum Discussion Forums > Luger Discussion Forums > New Collectors Forum

Unread 06-05-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
majyxman
New User

Default California Firearms Rules

New to the forum and wondering if anyone who has recently purchased a luger in CA can tell me what you went through as far as complying with CA firearm resale laws.
majyxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 02:25 PM   #2
drbuster
User

Dave, See your private message!
drbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Aaron
Banned

Buying a Luger in California is the same as buying any other pistol. You still have to meet all the requirements and go through the 10 day wait. If you have a C&R plus a California Certificate of Eligibility you are exempt from the ten day wait and can take immediate delivery, but you still pay the DOJ fee.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
majyxman
New User

Many thanks for the info.
Unread 06-06-2005, 04:26 PM   #5
Pete Ebbink
User

In CA, we also have a little handgun safety test to pass (30 questions...) and pay a fee for a 5 year safety card...called the "California Department of Justice Handgun Safety Certificate".

Study booklet is available at gun shops that are licenced by the State to administer the test and you can take the test the same day you study the test guide.

The only question I failed was how far can a .357 mag round go...? I guessed and then doubled it...thinking too much about it and assuming the gun was shot straight up in the air and the return flight of the bullet counted...the question asked "how far can a .357 mag. bullet travel"...I assumed the worst case and was wrong...(I think the test answer is wrong...)

I think you can miss 5 out of 30 questions...and you can take the test the next day if you do not pass the first time and not have to pay the fee again.

Pete...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 05:14 PM   #6
tracyp
User

Pete,

I've asked several Dealers how many people have failed the HSC, the answer was none. Also when you buy a handgun they have to show you how to put a lock on it. Not the lock you bought or own, but a standard lock. It was nothing like the one that came with my Browning Hi-Power, but what do you expect from California.

If you have a C&R and are buying a C&R then your exempt from the Handgun Safety Certification.
tracyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 06:12 PM   #7
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Tracy,

My local gun shop will only sell if you have the safety card...they seem to not care about C&R and COE status...they insist on the other as well...

Might have been related to my buying guns not on the C&R list...

Pete...
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 10:58 PM   #8
majyxman
New User

Not to belabor the point, but can anyone explain why the Erma "baby luger" on Auctionarms is not for sale in CA ? Is it because it does not qualify as a C&R ?
Unread 06-06-2005, 11:06 PM   #9
drbuster
User

Dave, It may have something to do with the arbitrary California "drop test" rule that the state did some time ago. The pistol is dropped from a fixed height to ascertain the risk and or chances of its going off from the contact with the floor. It was sort of a safety check for various guns. I'm not sure of the exact rules of the game but I've seen lists of so-called "safe" guns that passed the drop test and one that were "unsafe". What a bizarre state is the Peoples Republic of Kalfornia!
Unread 06-07-2005, 06:42 AM   #10
DougT
User

Greetings from the Golden State of Kalifornia!

I recently spotted an old S&W Model 27-2 on Randy Bessler's website. When I checked into purchasing it, I discovered that because an out of state gun like this is not on the "approved list" for handguns being sold in Kalifornia, and because it is not a C&R gun, that there was no way I could legally purchase it. My understanding is that for a handgun to be legally sold in California, the manufacturer must submit 5 samples to the State for "testing." These guns are not returned to the manufacturer after the testing process. Assuming they pass the state's battery of tests, the particular model submitted is then approved for retail sale in the State. So that means samples for each different variation of a particular handgun type (caliber, barrel length, finish, sights, grips--anything that would technically differentiate one gun from another) must be submitted to the State in multiple samples or that variation can not be sold in the State. I understand that many of the smaller manufacturers have opted to pass on Kalifornia, and that the larger gun makers only submit samples of guns they are sure will sell well. Consign sales of used guns seem to (so far) continue to be legal. Of course that means that used "in State" examples of popular guns such as the Colt Python are few and far between, and when you find one that you can legally purchase it will most certainly be priced way over market. I am a native Californian, and this used to be a great State. Thank God they haven't figured out a way to restrict and outlaw the good weather we enjoy. My wife and I are less than 5 years away from retirement, and I regularly think about what it might be like to live in "gun friendly" state. The controlling, restrictive attitude is not limited to just guns, it pervades the culture (at least here in Southern Kalifornia). Everything is illegal, everything is regulated. And yet we enjoy a very high crime rate, and have some of the most outrageous acts of civil disobedience you will ever see. My wife and I may just blast outa' here in a few years.

DougT
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 09:08 AM   #11
drbuster
User

How do you think the gun dealers feel here in Kalifornia? Some of them are thinking of opening satellite branches in Nevada!